Tax returns vs. transcripts

stroojie

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I have all my paper work ready and am about to file the N-400 (based on marriage). I have all the other supporting documents and could everything in the mail today with the tax returns. My question is should I file with my tax returns or wait till I get the transcrips from the IRS?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I have all my paper work ready and am about to file the N-400. I have all the other supporting documents and could everything in the mail today with the tax returns. My question is should I file with my tax returns or wait till I get the transcrips from the IRS?

Thanks.

You don't need to send either one with your N-400. In rare cases (depending upon your case) these could be asked for during the interview stage (but not with application). See the other recent post on the same topic on whether you need it and what you need.

In rare cases (depending upon your case) these could be asked for during the interview stage (but not with application). See the other recent post on the same topic on whether you need it and what you need.

Why in rare cases, if I'm not mistaken they ask for it for any marriage based application... is that not so? (I sent application without and got a yellow paper requesting that I bring it along with me to the interview...)

My application is marriage based and they ask for either the return or the transcript.
Chaimdan - did you take the return or the transcript?

IRS transcripts are official US gov issued reports on the status of your/spouse IRS accounts and filings, of course, they have more credibility and weigh in comparison to self-prepared and disclosed tax return.

Copy of return could be supplementary but IRS transcripts are more important.

irs transcripts are official us gov issued reports on the status of your/spouse irs accounts and filings, of course, they have more credibility and weigh in comparison to self-prepared and disclosed tax return.

Copy of return could be supplementary but irs transcripts are more important.

+1