tax returns, original, printouts or just transcripts

savithari

Registered Users (C)
Friends,

One of the things mentioned in the forums here is that Tax Returns have to be taken at the time of interview. I want to order them. My questions are.

a. I have PDF's of all filed Tax returns, Can I use those as proof of Tax Filing. (2001 tax year to 2006 tax year) ?

b. Do I need to order the full Tax returns from IRS for the 2001-2005 tax years so it can be considered a certified copy ? ($39 per copy)

c. Would a Tax Transcript for 2001 to 2006 tax years suffice or it should be a full fledged Tax Return ($0 per copy)

Any experiences on this is greatly appreciated.

-S

savithari said:
Friends,

One of the things mentioned in the forums here is that Tax Returns have to be taken at the time of interview. I want to order them. My questions are.

a. I have PDF's of all filed Tax returns, Can I use those as proof of Tax Filing. (2001 tax year to 2006 tax year) ?

b. Do I need to order the full Tax returns from IRS for the 2001-2005 tax years so it can be considered a certified copy ? ($39 per copy)

c. Would a Tax Transcript for 2001 to 2006 tax years suffice or it should be a full fledged Tax Return ($0 per copy)

Any experiences on this is greatly appreciated.

-S
I went down this path. My advice:

1. Request the tax transcript over the phone from IRS. It is free and you the 4 years worth of Tax transcripts and it takes about 10-15 for it to arrive.

2. Do NOT spend $39.00 for the actual tax return. It takes 3 months and just not worth the hassle and trouble and cost.

3. Also take your PDF to the Interview.

Make photocopies of everything in case your wife and and you are inteviewed at the same time.