Tax returns for I-864

aussie81

Registered Users (C)
Hi Everyone,

I found this inormation and I'm not sure if anyone else is aware of it yet...
http://www.murthy.com/news/n_864tax.html
Basically it's saying that instead of providing tax returns (or transcripts) for the last 3 years, you now only have to provide one tax return for the previous tax year.
I just wanted to check this out and see if anyone had any experience with this because I don't want to only include 1 tax return and have my application knocked back!

I know this was in the news 2 months ago. If it is not on the USCIS website, then probably the rule is not implemented to the fullest extent and there might be issues with submitting tax returns for only one year.

For now, you should assume that the law still requires you to submit tax returns for three years. If they are interested only in the most recent year, then they will ignore the rest.

ari4u said:
I know this was in the news 2 months ago. If it is not on the USCIS website, then probably the rule is not implemented to the fullest extent and there might be issues with submitting tax returns for only one year.

For now, you should assume that the law still requires you to submit tax returns for three years. If they are interested only in the most recent year, then they will ignore the rest.

I had my interview today and I asked this question to the immigration officer. He told me that he cares only for the most recent year's tax return (In my case 2004), so i guess this rule is enforced, but it still doesnt show up on the USCIS website

orhansahin said:
is tax return same as W2 form?

NO.

W2 lists your earnings for a given year, but does not mean that you filed taxes for that year. You should be looking at your 1040 or get tax transcripts from IRS.