Tax Returns for 485

love_usa

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
For 485 filing,
a) Do we need to attach copies of tax returns for the last 4 years? I guess, yes.
b) My copy of 2002 tax returns is missing. I know that I can request exact copies of my tax returns from IRS. But it takes 60 days to get the same. However, IRS also provides something called "transcript of tax transaction" for each year. This takes only about 2-3 business days.
Can I use this for my 485 filing?
c) Has anyone had a similar experience?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
-Santhosh

love_usa said:
a) Do we need to attach copies of tax returns for the last 4 years? I guess, yes.

Read the I-485 filing instructions on the form. Tax returns are not required as initial evidence for the I-485.

love_usa said:
b) My copy of 2002 tax returns is missing. I know that I can request exact copies of my tax returns from IRS. But it takes 60 days to get the same. However, IRS also provides something called "transcript of tax transaction" for each year. This takes only about 2-3 business days.

It's always good idea to provide your latest tax return (not four years). You don't need to get stamped tax return from IRS. You can send a copy of your own tax returns.
Though I-485 instruction does not talk about providing tax returns, but if you just sample recents RFEs (posted in various forums here) you will see a good number of RFEs are related to tax returns - mostly last year tax returns. It's always good idea to provide the documents that can cause potential RFEs, if they are available with you. You don't want to delay your processing 1-2 months just for a RFE.

love_usa said:
Hi,
For 485 filing,

Thanks
-Santhosh

a) three years would be fine in your case. If you are filing an affidavit of support for a derivative applicant, the tax returns are pretty much mandatory.

b) official IRS tax transcripts are just fine. They show your income, etc. They are also faster - and much cheaper (free?) compared to full blown copies.

c) I supplied photocopies of my last three year returns as I was also applying for my wife (affidavit of support). I did not receive an RFE at any point during the adjudication.

wik said:
a) three years would be fine in your case. If you are filing an affidavit of support for a derivative applicant, the tax returns are pretty much mandatory.

I did not sent them Got approval without RFE. It is not mandatory. Even i did not send the payslips.

pralay said:
It's always good idea to provide your latest tax return (not four years). It's always good idea to provide the documents that can cause potential RFEs, if they are available with you. You don't want to delay your processing 1-2 months just for a RFE.

This can go both ways. You rarely want to give USCIS more information than they ask for; someone poring over your tax returns may come up with ideas to give you an RFE. Let's say you took 2 months off as FMLA leave or to go home to see family, and didn't get paid. An examiner may question if you were out of status because of unpaid bench time and raise an RFE.

Tax returns and W-2s are NOT mandatory, and lots of folks are approved without ever submitting them. I'd be very leery of giving more information than you need.

love_usa said:
Hi,
For 485 filing,

Thanks
-Santhosh

Mr Santosh, like many have said here Tax returns are not required.
But at same time I've seen RFE's asking for tax returns. 4 yrs
of returns is certainly not required but I sent 2003 returns
and W2's.