Tax returns and W2

oabailey

Registered Users (C)
I have read a lot on this forum about taking tax transcrips to the interview. {if I am lucky to get one} However I have also read about having to take W2's. I can get copies of my tax returns from the CPA and the form that I sign to say that I E filed. He may also have my W2's that I usually fax over to him. Do I really need these? If the letter that I get back from the USCIS states that I don't have to take tax returns I understand that it is still best to take them but what if I have a problem with W2's? Can anyone tell me if they have been asked for them. I also understand that it is pretty easy to get tax transcrips from the federal government in just a few days but can anyone tell me how long the state of California takes when asking for transcrips and do I just use the state tax web site and phone number to ask for those. Which is the best to do? tax transcrips or copies of tax returns and why would I need W2's?

Thank you

If they want to see your taxes, they won't ask for W2s or 1040s if you show Federal tax transcripts.

You don't need state tax transcripts unless there is a reason to doubt that you paid state taxes or whether you're really a resident of California (for example if you work in another state or your driver's license is not from California).

Normally USCIS asks only the tax transcripts (Federal tax returns) but lately it's reported on two different immigration forums that some people were specifically asked to present tax returns and not the transcript. So it would be in your best interest if you could carry with you both- tax transcripts and tax-returns. And do NOT pay any attention on what are asked to bring to the interview on the yellow letter or interview letter because that letter is just a general letter than a case-specific. Nobody can assure you as to what documents could be asked or which ones don't. Nobody could assume anything. Thus, it's very important to carry everything you could so that a decision could be made right away; otherwise adjudication could be delayed for many months. Try your best to collect all the documents you could. Also carry your birth certificate too as it is being asking lately.

Again, it's very much you will not be asked for tax returns and BC, but if they do then you would need to present all these documents, and in the absence of these documents your application could be put away for many months. So its totally up to you, whether you want to take that chance and hoping officer to not ask these documents or just to go to the interview with over-prepared proactively.

So does the recommendation to carry tax returns pertain only to marriage based N400's or also to Employment Based? And if so - just the last year or two or the whole 5 years?

Not only tax returns but also tax transcripts too should be carried on for the last 5 years even if a case is based upon a marriage (3 years rule) or an employment based (5 years rule). As it's stated very clearly that normally only tax transcripts are asked but lately its reported on two different immigration forums that USCIS asked to see tax returns than tax transcripts. So why to take risk unnecessary delay if somehow USCIS would request such documents unexpectedly unless one wouldn't mind delaying a case for many months. All these tips/opinions/suggestions are given to have a successful and smooth interview without any delay in adjudication and disposition of the case. It's totally up to the applicants how they would like to proceed. I personally believe in being pro-active and fully prepared than leaving any room for any excuses/delay/denial. It's just ME....

tax transcrrips

Well, I asked the internal revenue service for tax transcripts from 2005 just to be on the safe side. Today I received some but not all I had asked for. They stated they are only available for the current processing year and three prior years. I actually received years 2008-2011. I have tax returns from 2005 from my CPA but they were e filed and copies but no signature from me on them. Will this cause a problem if the officer asks for them?

Well, I asked the internal revenue service for tax transcripts from 2005 just to be on the safe side. Today I received some but not all I had asked for. They stated they are only available for the current processing year and three prior years. I actually received years 2008-2011. I have tax returns from 2005 from my CPA but they were e filed and copies but no signature from me on them. Will this cause a problem if the officer asks for them?

Take whatever you have with you including the copies from your CPA. There is a possibility that the officer will not want to see any of them at all but you will have them with you just in case.

You shouldn't have a problem getting a 5 year tax transcripts.. I just called their hotline and ordered the past five years to be mailed to me free of charge: 2007-2008-2009-2010-2011 5 years

it's been 10 days since I submitted my request to IRS for transcripts and still didn't receive it.. I have resubmitted my request today as I have only 1 week before interview................

it's been 10 days since I submitted my request to IRS for transcripts and still didn't receive it.. I have resubmitted my request today as I have only 1 week before interview................

Is there a local IRS office you can go? Looks like it will be tight if you have your interview in a week.

Is there a local IRS office you can go? Looks like it will be tight if you have your interview in a week.

That's a good idea.. I checked their website and found a local office.. says only have transcripts for current year + 3 years back (I need five, but I guess it's better than nothing..). Do you know if they give transcripts on the spot or have to wait for mail...?

That's a good idea.. I checked their website and found a local office.. says only have transcripts for current year + 3 years back (I need five, but I guess it's better than nothing..). Do you know if they give transcripts on the spot or have to wait for mail...?

My case is difference since my wife is applying under the 3 years married to USC. However, I went to my local IRS office a couple of weeks ago. I told the women at the counter that I needed tax transcripts for 2011, 2010, and 2009. She asked me to type in my SS number into the keypad, and she also asked to see my ID. I informed her that we moved so she asked for my prior address. Since it is not tax season, I was in and out in less then 10 minutes.

Another thing you might want to do if you have access to a fax machine is to call the IRS and ask them to fax the information to you..

Thanx for suggestions.. The funny thing - a day after I called to re-order my transcripts - they arrived in the mail!!! All 5 of them.. So I guess I will receive a second batch in the mail in a week or so :))