tax return transcripts

baikal3

Registered Users (C)
I have a question regarding the requirement to submit trascripts or certified copies of tax returns for the last 5 years with N-400.

My LPR status started on 03/01/2002 and I am planning to file N-400 in early January of 2007. This will be before I am able to file the 2006 tax return, since it takes a while for the employer to issue W-4 and even longer for the mortgage company to issue a tax and interest statement (all of which I will need to file a 2006 tax return).

Am I required to submit a copy/transcript of the 2001 tax return with N-400?

It is not very clear how to interpret "the last 5 years" here since I was not even a permanent resident in 2001.

I did get copies of tax return transcripts from IRS for the 2005, 2004, 2003 and 2002 returns.
However, I was not able to get a 2001 transcript. IRS sent me a letter saying that only returns for the last 4 years are available in trascript form and that for older returns I should file a paper form 4506 to request a certified photocopy of those returns.

I did that back in August and IRS cashed my check for $39 then.
However, I still have not gotten a copy of my 2001 return, even though it has been well over 60 days (the time limit in which IRS promises to process a form 4506 request according to this form itself and the IRS website). I tried calling IRS customer service reps but got nothing out of them.
Has anyone dealt with this kind of a problem? Is there a way to exert some pressure on IRS to make them move?

Thanks!

According to the N400 instructions, there is no need to file
tax returns with application. You should bring them to the interview.

Obongo said:
According to the N400 instructions, there is no need to file tax returns with application. You should bring them to the interview.

Yes, you are right, thanks!
It turns out that I was reading the wrong part of the "Document Checklist" in the Guide to Naturalization. It actually only asks for transcripts/copies of tax returns for the last 5 years if one has taken a trip abroad for longer than 6 months and less than a year and is trying to prove that continuous residence requirement was not broken by such a trip.
This does not apply to me anyway.

baikal3 said:
Yes, you are right, thanks!
It turns out that I was reading the wrong part of the "Document Checklist" in the Guide to Naturalization. It actually only asks for transcripts/copies of tax returns for the last 5 years if one has taken a trip abroad for longer than 6 months and less than a year and is trying to prove that continuous residence requirement was not broken by such a trip.
This does not apply to me anyway.

Most apps only need to file for 3 things:

a) The check for $400 put Alien number in memo file.
b) The two photographs (with name and alien number in pencil on back)
c) Photocopies of back and front of your GC.