Tax Return Transcript for Interview

DocyBear

Registered Users (C)
Hi

Will copies of fax return transcripts received directly via fax from IRS be accepted by IO during the interview for verification purpose?

Or they require original copies printed and mailed out by IRS ONLY?

Your help is appreciated! :)

If they want stuff from IRS, I'll let them get it. I am happy to show them what I filed, but chasing after IRS isn't what I call a dream date.

This has to end somewhere.

I am already collecting all bills, returns etc from 1995 onward - that's paper enough.
Even can show them all my paystubs I got in my life.

Some sanity needs to prevail.

Hi

Will copies of fax return transcripts received directly via fax from IRS be accepted by IO during the interview for verification purpose?

Or they require original copies printed and mailed out by IRS ONLY?

Your help is appreciated! :)

Did your interview letter ask for tax returns?

I understand from most discussions here tax records are not asked. Unless there is some issue in your case, IO suspects something wrong, you will not be asked for tax transcripts o r papers. That said, do collect all you can, but do not sweat over it.

I thought Tax docs are a standardized requirement?

I am concerned if they only accept original copies that are printed and mailed out by IRS. Or the ones I received via fax from IRS are okay with the IOs pertaining to the Tax docs they requested.

And yes, I do have potential issue with the IO as I had school outside US in Singapore when I was under 21 years old for a few years. My step-dad (Born US citizen) was and is still working in Singapore on his temporary assignment for a foreign investment bank. (He filed for 1040 and foreign income exemptions jointly with my mum yearly and claimed me as a dependent.)

I returned to states every chance I get during school breaks and spent half of my break time here in the states. (the breaks we get in Singapore are never more than a month by itself and if you check the internet for Singapore school holidays, you will find we get less than a month for summer and about a week and a half for winter!!! People always though breaks are the same throughout the world eg. Four months long Summer >.< ) Th erefore, I was away for more than 6 months but less than a year From June 2002 and APR 2005. Since APR 2005 I have been always here in the states attending college. I am currently a junior in the college now and will be applying for med school this coming summer. Therefore, those docs are important to prove my intent and my actions rendered to protect my continuous residency.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
If they want stuff from IRS, I'll let them get it. I am happy to show them what I filed, but chasing after IRS isn't what I call a dream date.

This has to end somewhere.

I am already collecting all bills, returns etc from 1995 onward - that's paper enough.
Even can show them all my paystubs I got in my life.

Some sanity needs to prevail.

This is free...just call IRS and request it and they will send it to you free of charge. Simple thing.

I got mine ready. Why take any chances? when these things can be easily obtained.

not an requirement...

... my IL papers (2 of those) don't say it is therefore do NOT need to provide :D

I thought Tax docs are a standardized requirement?

I am concerned if they only accept original copies that are printed and mailed out by IRS. Or the ones I received via fax from IRS are okay with the IOs pertaining to the Tax docs they requested.

And yes, I do have potential issue with the IO as I had school outside US in Singapore when I was under 21 years old for a few years. My step-dad (Born US citizen) was and is still working in Singapore on his temporary assignment for a foreign investment bank. (He filed for 1040 and foreign income exemptions jointly with my mum yearly and claimed me as a dependent.)

I returned to states every chance I get during school breaks and spent half of my break time here in the states. (the breaks we get in Singapore are never more than a month by itself and if you check the internet for Singapore school holidays, you will find we get less than a month for summer and about a week and a half for winter!!! People always though breaks are the same throughout the world eg. Four months long Summer >.< ) Th erefore, I was away for more than 6 months but less than a year From June 2002 and APR 2005. Since APR 2005 I have been always here in the states attending college. I am currently a junior in the college now and will be applying for med school this coming summer. Therefore, those docs are important to prove my intent and my actions rendered to protect my continuous residency.

Thank you

While the tax records may not be listed on the IL as a document that needs to be provided to the IO, there's no way to predict what the IO will ask for. For example, it explicitly states that no proof needs to be provided for traffic tickets (an issue that has been beaten half to death on this forum) that are for offenses other than DWI/DUI/reckless driving, if the fine amount is less than $500. However, it's been reported numerous times that IOs demanded proof of payment for traffic tickets issued for minor offenses, with fines significantly less than $500. The bottom line is this: after having to wait what seems like an eternity to finally get your interview, why would you even consider risking an even further delay of your case??? Just call the IRS and request copies of your tax transcripts. It's an automated line, and it only takes about 5 minutes. Personally, I think a 5 minute phone call is a small price to pay to spare yourself from frustration.

Just call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 and ask for an original IRS 1722 letter, listing tax information for the past 5 years.

IT'S FREE! You get it in 10-15 days by mail.

They only ask what it's for. I told the lady it was for "Naturalization" purposes. She did not know what "Naturalization" meant so I had to elaborate. No big deal, as we all know that we (aliens!) have to constantly explain trivial matters to others. Anyway, it will all be over soon!

I don't think this info will be asked during interview, but why not request it since it's free?

I don't think form 1722 is active anymore. When I called IRS personal, she didn't know what is 1722 and what she faxed me is 1044 summary and details.

I don't think form 1722 is active anymore. When I called IRS personal, she didn't know what is 1722 and what she faxed me is 1044 summary and details.

The keywords are "tax transcripts for the last 5 years". Just mention it and they will know what you mean.

Letter 1722, is a summary of your tax returns. Transcripts are copies of the 1040 form (with the itemized deductions - on one page).

The reason for the stamp is, because with the correct software, somebody could make his or her own transcripts or alter it.

I found this information in this forum.

1040 account transcripts are what they want or something with the stamp?

I called the irs today on form 1722, they told me this form is not active anymore, so I requested transcripts for the last 5 years.

Its form 4506T if you choose not to call and mail it in.

I couldn't talk to representative. I get stuck on the menu all the time.

how did you talk to irs representative?

This form is basically tax transcript, is that right?

I called the irs today on form 1722, they told me this form is not active anymore, so I requested transcripts for the last 5 years.

Its form 4506T if you choose not to call and mail it in.

That's what I was saying before. IRS personal was very good. She faxed me 1040 summary and mailed me copies of my 1040.