Tax return problem... please help!

Raj H

Registered Users (C)
There is a mistake in my 1999 tax return. Do they look over the tax forms in detail during the interview. my accountant claimed my wife in 1999 even though we were married on jan 2000. will that be a problem

They just want to verify that you did file your returns

I don\'t think they will discover this.
Good luck
MJ1

Don\'t risk it.

File an ammendment with IRS prior to interview. That should play it safe for you.

No Title

For "good relations" with the dreaded IRS, you can still file an amended tax return for that year. If they audit you at any time, it may be for the past 5 years.

I dont think they will check that much detail during interview but they will

forward the IRS9003 to IRS for sure.That time if IRS cross check and find out the fact..u will be cooked.I dont think IRS will consider this an error as it is misrepresentation of the fact.how come a CPA will do like that.If you really feel that it is an error better file an amendment and correct the problem.It may be the right thing to do to avoid any problem in the future not only just at the time of CP interview.

IRS Transcripts ONLY are Good Enough!

Firstly you may not be asked at all for the IRS tax returns..
Secondly, if you owe IRS somethings, they would know it[FBI/IRS checks during I-140 I assume]... then they will ask for your transcripts/W-2s etc... Thats it! FOrget about getting scrutinized! You are not dealing with IRS!

Relax - if you do not own a dime! Just go and you will be fine!

I have a similar problem - just reversed

So for me it was the other way round..Our marriage date was last week december, but we filed SINGLE..

I went to HnR Block and filed a 1040x and 540x send it to IRS....All this gets done within a week..and you can take copies of the amended returns with you...

Dont take a chance with the IRS nor the Consulate...

Raj H: I don\'t think they\'ll check that at the CP interview...

and there\'s a miniscule possibility that the IRS will go back to the 1999 records and check that. However, if you have feelings of guilt and want to have peace of mind in the future (after getting the GC), you can go ahead and speak to your Tax Consultant and file an amended return as required.

WE had a similar Problem

We also had filed SIngle as we were married Last week of Dec and were not even in USA

But we went ahead and filed for ammendment...as we did not want to take any chances however for the ammended Tax Returns to get entered into IRS system it takes upto 8 weeks...so in case u want to take TAX TRANSCRIPTS KEEP THAT IN MIND...

FOR us IT TOOK around a month for the Check to be cancelled and more than a month to get some return from IRS...