Tax Return filing - impact on N-400

amann

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am a computer consultant and have my own S-corporation...I was late in filing my company's tax returns on a couple of occassions...as of now, both the returns have been filed....In the N-400 form, there is a check box that says 'Since becoming a lawful permanent resident, have you ever failed to file a tax return'....do I need to say yes to this....kindly note that this is not my personal tax return ..but the company's tax return ....of which I am the President...morever, I had a CPA that did the business taxes for me....and he screwed it up...

Would appreciate your thoughts on this..

If you were to take the question at face value, then filing late does not equate to "having failed to EVER file taxes". So as long as you have filed your returns (regardless of when you filed (on time or late), you should answer 'No'.

Re: tax Return file - impact on N-400

Thanks LolaLi. Is this the standard procedure...Are there others who had the same case...I just want to be very sure on this..as this is the only gray area in my application...

As long as you file the taxes and you are not owing ,and you will be fine. Just get a clearance{ i.e a letter from IRS} indicating you are fine with your taxes/ you are not owing taxes.Finally make sure you have copies of your tax return/ transcript {last 3 years} with you when going for interview. For the form just answer "NO".

Good luck

Keep life simple. You haven't "failed" to file a tax return, so don't go looking for trouble by answering yes.