Tax Return after Citizenship

winthan

Registered Users (C)
Well, this post might help you for some who are going to have similar life experience of mine.

Most of naturalized US Citizens are marriage to a non-US Citizen. I am the one of them, however my wife is a non-resident in US, so she doesn't apply for visa to live in US, that's mean she doesn't have SSN. I moved to Singapore, to stay with her. but I got lucky with my office to work from there remotely, get incomes as usual from office. For me, I think I could file tax return for myself with marriage status. Even she visited to US, I think she needs nothing for IRS.

Well, now Tax return season came, I tried to file to the tax return, she needs IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number for it. Without it, I can't file the tax yet. That is hassle.

So you guys, if you are marriage to a non-US Citizen (who stays outside of US even after marriage) please try to get an IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number for your spouse when spouse visit to US or from spouse location where you can do with acceptance agent.

But in Singapore like some other place where they don't have official acceptance agents, CPA recommends about to get passport certified when you are filing the tax return with W7.

Hope that helps for you!