tax related question.............

handsome

Registered Users (C)
I guess we are all getting ready to file (or have filed) our taxes. A friend of mine was wondering if he could recieve credit towards the tuition expenses which he incurred, all though it was reimbursed by his company.
My answer to him was NO. Please let me know your thoughts......!

Also if others have any tax related queries we could use this thread and help each other even though its a non-immigration issue.

Your response would be appreciated as always..............!

what about relocation expenses?

My employer didn't reimburse any relocation expenses when i changed 2 places in the year 2002. But i don't have many bills with me, should i get any benefits in tax?

As per as i know yes,

Last year i have recd refund for the relocation(not full certain percent).

You can claim for mileage for your car(includning toll),Boarding including meals and complete moving if beyond 40 miles and worked more than certain hours( i dont remember exact hrs) after moving.

Good luck

Depends. If the reimberse comes as part of the salary, you can claim the unreimbersed part for this year.

Originally posted by handsome
I guess we are all getting ready to file (or have filed) our taxes. A friend of mine was wondering if he could recieve credit towards the tuition expenses which he incurred, all though it was reimbursed by his company.
My answer to him was NO. Please let me know your thoughts......!

Also if others have any tax related queries we could use this thread and help each other even though its a non-immigration issue.

Your response would be appreciated as always..............!

urgentgc ,

you should claim the moving expenses.

In order to deduct those expenses, you need to satisy the "distance" and "time" test.

The distance to your new workplace should change more than 50 miles from your old residence.

For the "time test", you should have worked in the general area of your new workplace for atleast 39 weeks during the 12 months right after you move. This is for a full time emp.

for self employed, in addition the above a total of atleast 78 weeks during the 24 months right after you move.

hope this helps.

Claiming Parents as dependents on Tax return

My mother stayed with me for more that 6 months in the US during the year 2002 (applied and received approval for extension of visitor visa). Can I claim her as dependent on my tax return?

I had the same question too

My parents will be visiting me this year and will probably stay for more than 183 days ( Assuming their I-94s let them do it, which is possible if they are given a 6 calendar month stay).

I did some preliminary research which seems to indicate that my parents cannot be claimed as dependents as they are not citizens or permanant residents.

Does anyone else have any experience with this? Thanks

For tax purposes the definition of a resident is anyone staying in the US for more than 180 days, correct me if I am wrong

Correction ---- You can claim Aliens as dependents

as long as they have a SSN(dont know if ITIN can be substituted)
and they satisfy the "relative" test and other IRS criteria.

For eg if you are sponsoring a relative who is a fulltime student
you can claim exemption on the expenditures you incur in sponsoring this relative.

Now I dont think technically you can put your parents visit in the same category as it comes under a vacation. Unless they are here for medical treatment or something serious (and ofcourse you need all the proofs)