Tax question

chillchill

Registered Users (C)
hi all, i and my wife have been getting our tax return done from this guy in NY for the last 5 years, this year my refund came but on my wife's return , the IRS site wrote "mistakes have been made so instead of the 2,000 dollars refund we owe 500 dollars" ( this guy had said we will get $2000 refund)
called the guy to check and he wrote " i will check it for YOU",
need feedback , what if he filed wrongly, what are the possible options for us,as total of $2000+ $500 is a lot , help appreciated

Approach a licensed CPA....

AND
you should file an amended return to correct data or add missing information concerning your income, deductions, credits, or dependents.
Use Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Tax Return, to correct a previously filed Forms 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ.Generally, Form 1040X must be filed within three years after the date you filed your original return or within two years after you paid the tax, whichever is later. A return filed early is considered to be filed on the due date. So if you filed your 2003 tax return on February 1, 2006, you have until April 15, 2009 to amend it.

thanks for the info, but i wanted to know about the accountability of the CPA, as he was the one who filed it , what is his obligation in this game, i paid him money for services and he promised $2000 return

Starting next year get it done using turbotax or taxcut (20-30 dollars) or even better taxact.com (free with free efile)

I used to use a accountant in jackson heights, ny and he used to write all the wrong deductions and did made lots of mistakes. Later I found out that he got jailed for 7 yrs for accounting and tax fraud.

Most accountants are P O S**T. No body will save you more money on tax than yourself

my 2 cents