tax question- new immigrant wife owes taxes

Edgewater

I married my girlfriend of 5 yrs in Sept 2012. I am a US citizen and she had arrived here in the US from Czech Republic in 2004. We are using an immigration attorney now and in the middle of the process of getting her green card (our appointment with immigration for the interview is in a month). In 2012 she had no income and I had worked full time. We filed taxes as married filing jointly and recieved a CP42 notice from the IRS stating that they are keeping the return because my wife had worked in 2004 as a houskeeper but did not file taxes. She earned about $14000 and was given a 1099 form and apparently never filed. She does have a tax ID #. Now I have the choice of filing an injured spouse form with IRS or re-filing as single. Any ideas on the best way to go with this process?

Why doesn't she just pay the back taxes?

That's on the agenda, but it will probably have to be a payment plan. We still need to call the IRS and figure out what she owes. I am thinking it's around $4000. Just wondering whether to re-file as Married/ filing sperately since she has some issues...or continue jointly, take advantage of the better tax rates, and submit an injured spouse form. Thx

have same problem. spouse didnt file tax

So we are working on the green card of my spouse. She didnt file taxes for 2006 to 2008. She planned on calling irs and start on filing taxes and pay taxes through a payment plan once she get her EAD and working again. So right now we are waiting for biometrics appointment from uscis. We turned in all our documents Aug.12. My question is will uscis look into my spouse's irs problem and not even issue EAD for that reason? Pls advise us. Thanks.