Tax question - First timer

perera1987

Registered Users (C)
Hi forum members!

I recently moved to USA(April 2013) and currently im working. Can someone explain how tax return work.? Should I need to fill some files by end of the year or will IRS send files to me? Thanks in advance.

If you have a regular job your employer must be deducting taxes form your pay. In January next year you will receive a W-2 Wage and Tax Statement from your employer which shows your earnings and taxes deducted. You are then required to file tax returns before April 15th. You can use several tax software packages to calculate and file your taxes online. Some popular software are Turbotax, Tax Act and H & R block.

Since it is your first time, I suggest paying a tax preparer at H & R block. It is affordable and they are good at it. You can try to do your taxes yourself after you have lived in the US for a year or two and familiarized yourself with the basics of taxes. A lot of us do our own taxes using a software but for the first few years I too used a professional.

Last year was my first time filing a tax return to the IRS. I had no idea what to do and a friend advised me to use this website - sprintax. I only had to enter some information and it automatically filled it for me. I only had to send it over the mail. I think I will use it this year too, I don't have time to do it by myself and I am afraid I could mix something up. As far as I remember it was quite cheap.