Tax Documents incase of RFE or interview

Hariyaali

Registered Users (C)
I seem to have misplaced my 2001 tax returns. Surely it would turn up after a big search, but in case they're really lost, what is the alternative I have ? Is there any way of contactng the IRS to send me some kind of proof of the fact that I filed ?

This is kind of strange as I have never lost any document before and I have a gut feeling that I'll be asked for this very document ... hehe ...

the IRS WILL send you previous tax documents

I did that once last year (forget for what purpose)

But do it ASAP - I think their turnaround time is about 2-3 weeks.

Good luck, and hope you wont be asked for it anyway..

I dont understant what exactly are Tax Return document, Is W-2 considered as Tax Return. I did Tele filing for year 2001 so I did not have to fill any form, so in that case what's considered as Tax Return Document.
Thanks

Documents

Dear harapattawaiter,

Even if you e-file, you should usually retain a hard/soft copy of your return form. This is usally recommended by the IRS for purposes of auditing (god forbid it happens)

Anyways, I would advise you to also go through IRS and get some kind of proof of having filed, as a just-in-case.

You do not want to be unprepared for anything. :)

Usually a W2 suffices, but you never know ...

Good luck !

Obtaining previous years tax docs..

If you go to a local IRS office in person, you can obtain previous years tax documents the same day for free (mostly within couple of hours)

visit www.irs.gov, for location and details.

I did it in LA last year.