Tampa Timeline?

Finger Print

I had my finger prints taken on 08/23 in ASC Tampa....Can someone please explain the remaining process like how do we know Name check is in progress,
finger prints returned by FBI to USCIS etc...etc...Thanks

N-400 Applcation Sent : 07/15/2006
Appl Recvd Date : 07/18/2006 (RD)
Priority Date: 07/18/2006 (PD)
Notice Date : 07/25/2006 (ND)
FP Notice Date: 08/01/2006
FP Appt Date: 08/23/2006
FP taken: 08/23/2006

bsnl said:
I had my finger prints taken on 08/23 in ASC Tampa....Can someone please explain the remaining process like how do we know Name check is in progress, finger prints returned by FBI to USCIS etc...etc...Thanks
I received no notice, after FP, that from anything was in progress relating to the FBI. The next thing I got was an invitation to the interview. At the interview I did ask about the FP and that whole process and I was told that it was complete, so I guess the USCIS has that info in your file.

You may notice that my interview notice was received only 1 month after the FP date, so I think having the interview is not related to whether the FP & security check process is coomplete. A good person to comment on this would be z350, as he has had some difficulties in this regard. Or you can go over his past posts in this forum.

Laripu said:
I received no notice, after FP, that from anything was in progress relating to the FBI. The next thing I got was an invitation to the interview. At the interview I did ask about the FP and that whole process and I was told that it was complete, so I guess the USCIS has that info in your file.

You may notice that my interview notice was received only 1 month after the FP date, so I think having the interview is not related to whether the FP & security check process is coomplete. A good person to comment on this would be z350, as he has had some difficulties in this regard. Or you can go over his past posts in this forum.

Thanks Laripu....I did see a post on a different chat board that now the Interview letters are sent only after FP/name check/background check clearance from FBI...not sure if that is true....if anyone knows about this new rule please share on this board.....thanks

Just like Laripu said, the next piece of information you receive is the invitation to the interview. The only other thing you can keep an eye on is your online status at the uscis website (www.uscis.gov). When that disappears, it usually means your interview letter is on its' way.

Technically the name check should go through to the FBI the same day your fingerprints were taken. I have no idea how long they spend on it. So far, from what z350 and Maryvams said, it looks like the Tampa DO is still scheduling interviews even if the name check isn't complete. If you scroll up in this thread, they both had their interviews fairly recently and are both stuck in the name check :( But at least completing the interview does give them options.

FYI, I applied for my passport a few days after I was sworn in. I just received it in the mail, along with my certificate of naturalization. I did not pay for expedited processing, and it took 4 weeks and 1 day, so not too shabby. :)

Caillie said:
So far, from what z350 and Maryvams said, it looks like the Tampa DO is still scheduling interviews even if the name check isn't complete.

My interview was scheduled before USCIS decided not to do it until background check done. So I was lucky to have interview. Now if it will be needed I can file 1447b any time after 120 day. But I'm not planning to do it at least till the fall next year. This is not critical to wait.

Received Oath Letter Tampa

Received my oath letter.

Interview Letter Received - 06/17/2006
Interview Date - 08/23/2006
Oath Letter Received - 09/06/2006
Oath Date - 09/28/2006
@ Tampa Convention Center

My wife is still waiting on her letter as that involved a name change. The interview officer advised us that it could take a bit longer for this process as they only process 50 applications a month for Oath at the courthouse. The tampa convention center can handle as many as 2000 cases a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Passport question...

Laripu, your passport arrived in really quick fashion. Is this expedited processing ? How much extra did it cost you? is this processing available through the USPS application process ?

v1v1v1, yes, expedited is a week to 10 days (including weekends). you do it at your local USPS office. very easy, very quick, online status updates (usually) and it is done.

Expedited is between $174 and $185 depending on the post office - some charge you for both ways overnight and others pick up the cost of sending it overnight to the state department.

read the passport timeline thread for any details you need.

v1v1v1 said:
Laripu, your passport arrived in really quick fashion. Is this expedited processing ? How much extra did it cost you? is this processing available through the USPS application process ?
I went to the post office on Ehrlich & Dale Mabry to give them my passport application and cheques (no credit cards!).

To file for a passport they needed to send my citizenship certificate into the State Department. So photocopy everything before you give it to them.

I paid the extra $60 for expedited 2-week service, and I'm glad I did.

By the way, I've now voted for the first time - for circuit court judges. :rolleyes:

Who can attend oath ceremony.

Thanks for your quick response Laripu and others. Appreciate that. Another couple of questions if you could .
Can someone like a spouse attend the oath ceremony along with the main applicant ? and Will they be allowed to take pictures or video tape the ceremony ?

Thanks again

v1, it's not a problem for visitors to attend the ceremony at all! And quite a few people were taking pictures and video-taping as well.

Here's a quick description of how it went, just in case anybody's interested:
The day I was sworn in, there were two ceremonies. Mine was in the afternoon at 1 p.m. Everybody who was sworn in at that time was invited to come in at the same time. The ceremony took place in a big room inside the convention center. There's plenty of space to bring someone and you can sit with them.

Anyway, there was a panel of government people sitting in front. After some introductory information, the applicants were asked to line up on the right and left wall as well as the two center aisles in the room (so if you were sitting closer to the front, you didn't have to stand in line quite as long ;)). We had to have our invitation letter with the information filled out in back and our green card. At the front of the line, an immigration officer checked each form, asked the applicant if anything had happened/ changed since the interview, put the green card inside a little bag, and stapled it to the form. He then wrote a big number on the form. That number's just for the purpose of lining up later, so a "1", for example, isn't better than an "8". Both the form and card were then returned to you for the moment, and you received a small flag and the ceremony program (with the text for the oath and the Pledge of Allegiance, etc).

After everybody had made it through the line, they started calling the applicants from each country and asked them to stand and remain standing. This is alphabetical, except for those countries with the most applicants. They're called last, so don't worry if they don't call you at the right spot in the alphabet. (some people I saw were worried when their country was seemingly skipped and tried to get the administering officer's attention)
When all the citizenship candidates were standing, they started to administer the oath. After completing the oath, we were pronounced American citizens.

Some more information, speeches and a couple of videos followed, and we were asked to line up once again, this time according to the number written on our invitation letter. We then had to turn in the invitation letter and green card in exchange for the naturalization certificate. Once we received the certificate, we were free to go.
There are opportunities to register to vote and usually you can apply for your passport as well.

Best of luck to you next Thursday!
Caillie

My case is waiting (3+ months) after FP with no info. CSR says no problem with my case, but nothing happens! How to I find out If I have name check issue or somEting else is causing delay? CSR does not have any info other than 'everyting is good. wait for some more time'. Any input will be help

Caillie's description of ceremony is identical to mine.

The only thing I have to add is that the videos were washed out, not bright enough and not very visible and the audio dropped out a few times. All in all the ceremony was quite lame. I was glad to get it over with and get out of there.

Reminders:
  • Don't forget to register to vote immediately after the ceremony.
  • Don't forget to photocopy your naturalization certificate before you bring it to the post office to send it to the State Department for your passport. (I did, but all ended well and I have it back.)

DO NOT PHOTOCOPY your naturalization Certificate.....

Laripu said:
The only thing I have to add is that the videos were washed out, not bright enough and not very visible and the audio dropped out a few times. All in all the ceremony was quite lame. I was glad to get it over with and get out of there.

Reminders:
  • Don't forget to register to vote immediately after the ceremony.
  • Don't forget to photocopy your naturalization certificate before you bring it to the post office to send it to the State Department for your passport. (I did, but all ended well and I have it back.)

DO NOT PHOTOCOPY your naturalization Certificate , its illegal.....Read the naturalization certificate you will see the law. Just a piece of advice.

Shribuy said:
You are allowed to make a copy for yourself. There is an exception provided for that.
Yes of course. And even if not, the Department of Homeland Security is not about to bust down the door of a citizen that has a scanned a copy of his naturalization certificate as a backup while the State Department is making his passport. I suspect they have enough bad guys to catch that they don't have the time to go after evil photocopiers !! :eek:

Two more facts:
  • For security purposes where I work I was required to submit a copy of trhe naturalization certificate.
  • For the I-130 my wife filed for my stepson, I had to send a copy of the naturalization certificate.
So I think it's ok. I think they want to prevent fraud, that's all.

Naturalized today

Hi everyone,
I took my oath today at the Convention Center. Process took about 2.5 hours from the time I parked the car to the time I got back to it. Laripu and Caillie and Others, Thanks for all your input. The ceremony was just as you described.

I did register to vote right there.

However, looking at the line, I did not apply for my passport at the convention center. Went back to the Ehrlich/DaleMabry PO for that.

Very happy to get this process over with. I feel like the Journey that started several several years ago, has finally ended.

Name check

It is 1 month 1 week since my FP....Is there ane way I can know the status of my name check? Thanks

N-400 Applcation Sent : 07/15/2006
Appl Recvd Date : 07/18/2006 (RD)
Priority Date: 07/18/2006 (PD)
Notice Date : 07/25/2006 (ND)
FP Notice Date: 08/01/2006
FP Appt Date: 08/23/2006
FP taken: 08/23/2006