Talked to IIO at Nebraska, said that I485 cases are on hold.

No Title

I remember last spring INS stopped processing i485 to clear the backlog on naturalization applications. For a short period (2-3 months) all priority dates were made current for both India and China. It is possible that too many people applied during that period and now INS realised they went over the quota (as they did with H1-b a couple of years ago) and stopped processing.
Anyway this is the only explaination I see if the initial posting was true.

No Title

Question???

I was just checking CA I485 message board, and they have some approvals as late as 5/22/01 for Indian applicant. If congress issued an order shouldn\'t that apply to all service centers?

No Title

Well, let me ask you this: If you don\'t have faith in this system, and if you are waiting for you 485 approval as your assumed name suggests, what are you waiting for and why?
Good Luck!

No Title

NOTE: If the GC quota is full for the year then priority dates DONT MOVE!- If it moves then its not full.

No Title

Clarify the I-485 hold issue.

Just got an email from company HR. They clarified:

It has been brought to my attention that there have been rumors regarding the processing of I-485 applications for adjustment of status. The latest rumor is that INS has stopped processing these applications for employment-based 2nd and 3rd categories for Indians and Chinese.

Upon researching on the INS website (http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/index.htm), the American Immigration Lawyers Association (www.aila.org/) and calling the Nebraska Service Center directly, I received no information to this effect. Please note that adjustment of status applications for other types of nonimmigrants, for instance, asylees, may indeed be on hold at this time. However, nothing indicates that there have been any changes in regards to the applications that affect our group of foreign nationals. I hope this clarifies the issue.

No Title

AAA485,
If that is the case, I just wondery why don\'t we see any approvals last week and this week. As I understand there is no approval posted this week, pl. correct me if I am wrong. But, your information is very informative, and I am glad that your HR took time to investigate.
So, there is no evidence that NSC stopped processing 485\'s?

No Title

It\'s very unlikely that the INS will restrict Visa/GC to a particular ethnic group or nationality. However, they can put quota/limitations on different visa types depending on US employment situation, and other demographic statistical analyses etc.

No Title

We have an approval today with ND 06/19/00. It seems to be nothing was on hold. So please stop worrying about this.
Myladoor do you have any info on this.

Thanks.

No Title

I just spoke to my lawyer who assured me that INS has not put a hold on processing I-485s. They have received approvals notices early this week.

However, here is what I think - Ravi_SSS posted the initial message that states that the hold was put in effect on May 24th or earlier. We have not see a single approval after that or should I check if they are putting something in the water fountain at work? The approval notices that my lawyer\'s office received must have approval dates before May 24th if they received them early this week.

There was a news item in the paper today about being able to expedite H1-B visa applications by paying an additional $1,000.

That article combined with the date till which the suspension is in effect - October 2001 (from Ravi_SSS message) leads me to believe that there is a possbility that processing has been suspended due to a budget problem.

This is just a theory based on my limited knowledge. I sure hope I am wrong as I am still waiting with a LIN #00005xxxxx.

No Title

Trash that theory - I just came across 4 approvals at immitracker.com, 3 dated 5/29 and 1 dated 5/30. I don\'t think there is any hold in place - just a really long weekend.