T-File

Willyjoel

Registered Users (C)
Hi all, my wife and I went to our greencard interview today (I'm a citizen, we applied for her greencard).

The interview went ok, we went there really prepared, a lot of evidence and all the necessary documents. The IO asked a lot of questions and we answered truthfully and to the best of our knowledge. He said that everything looked ok, but he was only going to approve us this time for the interview (certifying that our marriage was bonafide), but couldn't approve the entire application because he needed a T-File (temporary file) that was in another office. He mentioned that they need to have both files (the T-File and the one he had at hand) in order to put them together, review them again, and then, if there were no problems, proceed with the approval.

I asked him how long it would take to do that, he said that he did not know, but it takes about 3-4 days to receive the file once requested. He mention that he has sending an e-mail asking for the file as he was explaining that to us. He also said that once the file arrives, he will NOT be the one reviewing it, that they are working know in a stream line process, another person will receive the file, review it and approve it, but he does not know how long it takes and that it all depends in how fast or how soon that person will get to work on it.

I am really worried because something similar happened to me when I applied for citizenship, my case was stuck in background chek and I waited 2 and a half years after my initial interview to get my oath. I mentioned this concern to him and he said that my wife's case is something completely different and it shouldn't be like what happened to me.

Have any of you guys experienced something similar? and if you have, how long did it take for you to be approved and receive your greencards? should I be worried, or is this something normal? we went there by ourselves and a translator y with no attorney, and I'm kind of regreting not have taken an attorney with me to the interview.

Any answers will be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Willy

Thanks a lot Atlanta Brother!! that cleared most of my doubts. We'll give USCIS a week or so before making an InfoPass, but hopefully well get everything resolved shortly.

The good thing is that there's been a lot of restructuing here in the VA field office (Fairfax), so I'm hopefull that they will get to it fast and not forget about it, but I won't give up on it and be on top of it all the time.

Again, thanks a lot for your help!

Some useful tips

Yes WillyJoel, stay on top of it. These people needs reminders all the time. Ofcourse, give them couple of weeks, but the file transfer doesn't take more than 4-6 weeks to be transferred to the local DO. The IO is the one who can make things move quickly, make the decision & close the case.
Last but not least, when you go for infopass appointment, make sure you request that you need to see a supervisor there. Most of the officers at the DO have the habbit of giving run arounds & giving wrong explanations. Make sure before you leave, you get fully convinced.