Switching from H1 -> EAD

immportuser

Registered Users (C)
Please advise on this.

My H1 expires this Dec. I have EAD until Jan 2005 which I haven't used yet. My wife is using her EAD and she entered US on advanced parole. Does it mean that shes also on H4?

Should I extend my H1 or switch to EAD and renew it?

Should I need to extend H4 for my wife or can we apply for new advanced parole?

My attorney is charging about $2000 for EAD and Advanced Parole extensions. Are these something that I can do myself?

For extending my H1 and my wife's H4 they would charge me around $2500.

Should I go with extending EADs (which means I have to switch from H1->EAD) or extending H1?

I concurrently filed my 140/485 (EB2) last September. I can't rely on our BCIS (CSC) buddies to bestow that GC before time runs out for EAD/H1 extension.

Please advise.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
My H1 expires this Dec. I have EAD until Jan 2005 which I haven't used yet. My wife is using her EAD and she entered US on advanced parole. Does it mean that shes also on H4?
------No she's on AoS ( To go back to H4 she must go out of the country and reapply for H4 )

---------Has your I-140 approved?? I would like to maintain my H1 status.

---------Looks like both of you need AP's. You can be on H1 and still use AP to travel as long as your I-485 is pending.

My attorney is charging about $2000 for EAD and Advanced Parole extensions. Are these something that I can do myself?
-----------You can do it on your own.

Renew your wife's EAD and get your H1-B extended( 7th year?? )

Should I go with extending EADs (which means I have to switch from H1->EAD) or extending H1?
----------See above for your wifes case. As for you its your call.

its easy...

immportuser ..

I have a couple of suggestions on u r questions..

The rule of thumb is "better use H1/H4 when u r green card is under processing" ..do not use EAD / AP until u really need it.

have EAD and AP as a backup only.

I would say extend u r H1B and u r wifes H4 visa as well as apply for EAD and AP for both.

if u spend some time ..u can do all these with in a couple of hours.

My company didnt give any money for my H1B.I did my self..it costs 140$ , and my company is not giving money for my renewal(EAD and AP)..I am planning to do it myself(online).

as per u r attorney he charges 2000+2500=4500 for AP/EAD/H1...
but if u do it ur self it costs 850$(for all)..believe me..

There are lot of our friends inthis form ,has done by themselves..
Dont pay money for lawyers...they are big LOOTERS..

if u act now..u can apply for premium processing and can get H1 within a week or 2 and u can send it for stamping in US itself..u dont have to go to consulate in India for stamping..remember last day for receiving applications in US (visa stamping) is July 16th.

Good Luck

immportuser said:
Please advise on this.

My H1 expires this Dec. I have EAD until Jan 2005 which I haven't used yet.
My wife is using her EAD and she entered US on advanced parole. Does it mean that shes also on H4?

I concurrently filed my 140/485 (EB2) last September. I can't rely on our BCIS (CSC) buddies to bestow that GC before time runs out for EAD/H1 extension.

Please advise.

thanks

thanks hathwar and hawahawa

For my wife, since shes on EAD, i'll go ahead and renew her EAD.

so for me, its better to extend my H1 huh? it would be my 7th year. i heard that being in H1 is better when compared to EAD.

can this H1 extension be done online? do I need to revalidate my visa? my current H1 expires on 12/31/04.

i know lawyers loot. when my wife had to switch over from h1 to h4 an year ago they asked $1250. i filed it myself and it was under $120.

hope my attorney would have no issue or this would not create issue if i do these myself.

in summary you guys suggest that:

1. i need to apply for 7th year H1 extension
2. EAD extensions for both of us
3. APs

thanks

hi hathwar

my 140 is not approved yet.

Looks like there is a facility to file EAD and H1B online. Am I eligible to do that?

If not do you guys have a checklist of all docs that I need to fill/provide as initial evidence etc for 7th year extension and EAD?

thanks

immportuser said:
1. i need to apply for 7th year H1 extension
2. EAD extensions for both of us
3. APs

thanks
Doing EAD and AP yourself should not be a problem. Even attorney should not mind. Moreover he will not come to know unless you tell him. If you go to I-485 forums you have lot of information.

But for doing H1 you may need to get his help because you need some documentation from your employer. H1 is employer petition. If your employer can co-operate you can do it on your own. But I would suggest to go for attorney for H1.

thanks tammy

my EAD (which I haven't used) and my wife's EAD/AP expires coming Jan. can i apply for extension in september or early october?

am hoping that BCIS (CSC) would do clear my 140 in coming months in which case I guess i can switch to EAD without applying for extension. my 140 (EB2) has been pending for nearly 300 days.

thanks

different attorney

would there any problem if i file for 7th year extension thru different attorney, who maybe lot cheaper than my current one. my current one just rips me.

my employer certainly doesn't care who files.