SURVIVOR Question - GURU\'s please answer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Survive_Q

Guru\'s, If a company has say 2500 employees and laying off 500 Employees.. in this case do tey have to keep People who already started or in the middle of the I-485 ? is my Understanding correct ? The reason is in I-140 they have demonstrated that they need people with particular skills and they have ability to keep that person for \'n\' number of years.... Please Clarify.... Your answers will help toooooo many people ..... Thanks in advance !!!!!

No Title

I am not sure that they need to make immigration status a factor in determining who goes or stays.

When my company let people go, a lot of asians were let go and I am sure that some of them were in different stages of their GC.

Esp. with a big company, there are different departments that make the decision and know of the immigrant status, and they would not really speak with each on the lay-off issue.

Thanks

No Title

It really depends on the company policy and their attitude towards immigration. In general, they care less about legalities such as Immigration etc during layoffs for cost cutting strategies. However, if you have good contacts with the higher ups then you can influence their decision. Also, the most important thing to find out is if the underlying I140 will be revoked. Companies which follow immgrations policies by books and overcautious about potential immigration violations tend to do this. Again, you lawyer would be more knowledgeble about this because the companies always consult with the immigrations lawyers they hired and they take actions based on what these guys say to them..

hope this helps

Bhanu

No Title

From what I have seen in my company( which has more than 20000 employees) they really don\'t give a shit about what status you are in.

Not only that the first thing they do is request the co. attorney to stop all GC processing and send a letter to them to be forwarded to INS for revoking the I140( If you are at that stage). I have first hand knowledge about people being laidoff who\'s GC was being processed. The co. had paid attorney up to 10k for each candidate and there are hundreds of us going through this torture. There is this one guy who wanted to sue the company, I don\'t know what happened later.

WELCOME TO CORPORATE AMERICA.