Surrender of I-94 departure card when travelling to Canada

Amit1793

Registered Users (C)
Hi! I'm on a a H1-B visa. I recently filed for adjustment of status (I-485) with the INS, and got a receipt from them for the same.

I'm flying from Detroit to toronto, Canada for only 3 days, and then returning back to the USA.

Please advise if I need to surrender my I-94 departure card to the airline carrier when travelling from the US to canada, and back. I've heard that when travelling from the US to Canada for less than 30 days, I should retain the I-94 departure card. Can someone please confirm this or narrate their experience.

Thanks,
Amit

Hi! I'm on a a H1-B visa. I recently filed for adjustment of status (I-485) with the INS, and got a receipt from them for the same.

I'm flying from Detroit to Toronto, Canada for only 3 days, and then returning back to the USA.

Please advise if I need to surrender my I-94 departure card to the airline carrier when traveling from the US to Canada, and back. I've heard that when traveling from the US to Canada for less than 30 days, I should retain the I-94 departure card.
----- That is correct, you don’t need to surrender your I-94 with airlines when taking flight from US to Canada it is treated as domestic flight, you can come back with same I-94, when you come back to US from Toronto you will face US immigration at Toronto Airport before boarding a flight for US, show your passport Visa and I-94
Can someone please confirm this or narrate their experience.