Surrender certificate

ramvij24

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I am getting ready to send the surrender certificate to Indian consulate, NYC. Do I need to notarize the form when signing the application. Some websites like immihelp.com state that the form has to be notarized. Can someone who went through this process shed some light ? Also it states that "US $ 175 per person (in addition to mailing charges of US $ 20 for cancellation of Indian passports)". Does that mean I have to pay $175 + $20 and also self addressed express mail of $20 ?.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent the form (no notarizing nor any self attesting for SC). It took a month to get back (NYC), though a friend got it back in 8 working days. So doesn't seem to be any first come first serve there.

I had sent express mail label and $20 for postage.
But the rules have changed since then, send $175 + self addressed express mail with $20 stamp affixed on the envelope (might speed your processing). Also press down when writing on the express label (else the last foil/addressee copy) does not get the address imprinted on it. Express mail is the way to go (both ways)... lets you track the package (don't want to lose your indian passports, its a headache if that happens, police report etc....)

Please do confirm on the website (rules keep changing every few weeks). I sent mine Aug 26 got it back Sep 26 appx.

Thanks for the reply. Did you send a copy of the naturalization certificate as well with the SC application?