Surrender Certificate Received from Houston

Sethumadhavan

Registered Users (C)
At last; after nearly 3 months, Frustrated with followups and emails. No answers; It just came on it own

Sent: Sep 10th (Received at Houston)
Email/Phone : Countless
Received: Nov 30th

Now I have to apply for OCI

Thanks

At last; after nearly 3 months, Frustrated with followups and emails. No answers; It just came on it own

Thanks

Congrats.
I am planning to apply OCI and SC together this week sometimes.
Why you did not apply together?

Hi emno

Have you got your PP? I read it somewhere in this forum (couple of months ago) that it is better get SC separately and than apply for OCI. Also even for a visit visa, we need SC, so i thought it is better to apply for SC separately. Now this could have changed. Not sure what the consulate's new rule is. They keep changing it to their convenience. The SC is a joke. They just put a seal in the form you fill. It takes 3 months and 170$ to do that.

enno, You will have to apply and get SC before applying for OCI. Check out other threads. OCI application has been returned for few of them stating that SC has to be done before applying for OCI.

Thanks

Hi emno

Have you got your PP? I read it somewhere in this forum (couple of months ago) that it is better get SC separately and than apply for OCI. Also even for a visit visa, we need SC, so i thought it is better to apply for SC separately. Now this could have changed. Not sure what the consulate's new rule is. They keep changing it to their convenience. The SC is a joke. They just put a seal in the form you fill. It takes 3 months and 170$ to do that.

after receiving the nat certificate, (i didnt get the passport in hand) i went to the cgny in person, i reached around 2pm, after arguing for 2 minutes, they gave me SC. the only bad experience was, they wanted a xerox copy of the application, as in their language " complete form in duplicate" (which didnt make sense to me). i just went a couple of blocks to get the app form xeroxed. other than that it was nothing of a hassle

Sree
You are lucky being NY. Try that in Houston. I hear they chase (shocking) people when one follow up in person; Several posts here says they are rude.

One of my colleagues had a strange experience. He got his US citizenship back in 2001/2002. However his Indian PP expires only in 2008. He has a tourist visa valid until 2012 and has never used his Indian passport for travel.

When he applied for SC in September under $20 rule, the Houston Generals called and asked him to pay $270. It seems that there is a new Oct 1 rule, that you are no longer eligible for the $20 rule if you got your citizenship before May 2010 (or June 2005) but your old Indian PP has expired three years after June 2005. So he is asked to pay $250 fine.

Sree
You are lucky being NY. Try that in Houston. I hear they chase (shocking) people when one follow up in person; Several posts here says they are rude.

may be i was just lucky, i had confirmed air tickets on me, the lady at the counter was an angel, the guy i spoke to at first was a SOB, i did argue though!
it wasnt even a follow up- just a mere walkin

Hi emno

Thanks Setu for asking. Yes finally I got the PP. That journey is over except a small process to get the natz certificate for my kid. But I am not worried about that.

When I read at the indian embassy site, they said that it is better to apply for SC and OCI together.
I am in the process of applying for both(getting my application together)

enno, You will have to apply and get SC before applying for OCI. Check out other threads. OCI application has been returned for few of them stating that SC has to be done before applying for OCI.
From Indian Embassy Site:
PLEASE SEND RENUNCIATION FORM, RENUNCIATION FEE AND OCI APPLICATION FEE CHEQUES SEPARATELY, BUT SEND IT TO US IN THE SAME PACKET PREFERABLY BY FEDEX/UPS TO

Presently, there is a backlog so in case you apply for renunciation separately, pls note that the processing time may be several weeks so it is strongly recommended that you apply for renunciation along with Visa/OCI/PIO application.

so not sure what to do?

after receiving the nat certificate, (i didnt get the passport in hand) i went to the cgny in person, i reached around 2pm, after arguing for 2 minutes, they gave me SC. the only bad experience was, they wanted a xerox copy of the application, as in their language " complete form in duplicate" (which didnt make sense to me). i just went a couple of blocks to get the app form xeroxed. other than that it was nothing of a hassle

Hi sreeleshk,
I sent my passport for SC on Nov 16th and have not received them back yet. I have sent them couple of emails too. Do you know how much time it tis taking to get the Surrender certificate in NYC these days. I live close to Philadelphia, so not that easy for me to go to NYC and inquire.
Thanks for your help.

Hi sreeleshk,
I sent my passport for SC on Nov 16th and have not received them back yet. I have sent them couple of emails too. Do you know how much time it tis taking to get the Surrender certificate in NYC these days. I live close to Philadelphia, so not that easy for me to go to NYC and inquire.
Thanks for your help.

i had to travel after a week of getting naturalized so i didnt have the luxury of time. i applied for the US passport, the very next day. went straight to cgny office got the sc in person, normally they ask to see the foreign passport but in my case they just accepted the nat certificate, i showed them confirmed air ticket itinerary. i got my US pp the next day of my emergency ppt. had to collect it in person, the same day i dropped it off at travisa for x visa stamping and collected it the next day in the evening. every thing went smooth and the very next day i flew home!

i ddnt give u much info, but i just gave u a nutshell of how it happened for me.

i would encourage you to call the consular general or the deputy. tell them whats going on. they appeared to be exhibit empathy

I received my OCI card/booklet today. i just noticed that under "current nationality" its printed as "IND" should it be so ? not that i really care , but does it need any correction?

I received my OCI card/booklet today. i just noticed that under "current nationality" its printed as "IND" should it be so ? not that i really care , but does it need any correction?
Hmm. I need to check mine tonight. Can you please tell me is it in OCI Booklet or U Visa?

i had to travel after a week of getting naturalized so i didnt have the luxury of time. i applied for the US passport, the very next day. went straight to cgny office got the sc in person, normally they ask to see the foreign passport but in my case they just accepted the nat certificate, i showed them confirmed air ticket itinerary. i got my US pp the next day of my emergency ppt. had to collect it in person, the same day i dropped it off at travisa for x visa stamping and collected it the next day in the evening. every thing went smooth and the very next day i flew home!

i ddnt give u much info, but i just gave u a nutshell of how it happened for me.

i would encourage you to call the consular general or the deputy. tell them whats going on. they appeared to be exhibit empathy

Thanks a lot Sreelesh. I will probably call them.

congrats.
How much total time it took for OCI process?

thanks

Hmm. I need to check mine tonight. Can you please tell me is it in OCI Booklet or U Visa?

In my booklet the nationality has been printed as USA. Please check your booklet once again and I am sure you are not looking at the place of birth section where it is printed as my place of Birth, India

In my booklet the nationality has been printed as USA. Please check your booklet once again and I am sure you are not looking at the place of birth section where it is printed as my place of Birth, India

On the OCI it shows, place of birth INDIA, nationality IND

actually when i sent in the application i typed Nationality as Indian ( as i was so used to typing that being recently naturalized) after i realized that on the copy on my computer i send cgny an email about the fix, they acknowledged it and said they would take care of it. seems they didnt