Surrender Certificate Fee Question

ricky0721

Registered Users (C)
People who have received citizenship after June 1, 2010, can you please advise?
1. If I need to send the surrender certificate for self and wife, can I send in the same packet?
2. For mailing, will the fees be (175 + 175 + 20) single draft payment OR (175 + 20) two drafts?
3. Do they take money orders or not? The CGI Chicago website says money order option but the pdf form mentions "cashiers check or bank draft"?
Sorry if this has been asked before but I could not find the answer in any of the threads in this forum.
Thank you.

I have a similar questions about the surrender certificate.

1) Can we send one cashiers cheque for self and spouse application.
2) Can both applications be sent in one envelope with one USPS trackable return envelope?

Thanks in advance

I sent a single cashiers check and both applications in the same envelope on 7/14. I used paper clips to make the separation between the two applications. I also included a cover letter explaining the breakdown of amounts and how it totals up to $370. Hope they will be sensible enough to process it. I'll post my experience here when I receive something back from them. It looks like some people have received the surrender certificate in less than 10 days.

I did not send any tracking envelope with it. I believe that's what the $20 mailing charges are for. They are supposed to use their own envelope to mail it back. $20 is more than enough for sending it overnite, although I am pretty sure they will just send it first class and use the opportunity to milk us of every penny they can to fill their coffers. Did you notice that the surrender certificate form is a joke with not enough space to write all the information they ask for; moreover the paper size is the one they use in India (A-4), whereas its meant for people living in US, not to mention the pathetic portal they call website for CGI, Chicago. My son in fourth grade would have done a better job at creating the form as well as the website. I hope they dont return my application just because I didnt send a return envelope... can't wait to be done with them.

Thanks Ricky,

Nothing is freakin clearly mentioned on the their outdated website.. and yes.. there is no space to write anything on the form and they want us to mention Tehsil, district, state, country in that tiny space provided. When will they change..... .... Why do they ask for forms to be filled in duplicate and triplicate... and ask copies of eveery single document that every had in your life Geez..... If they are charging 175 for this stupid surrender ceritificate, they should be doing all the work. Rip off. And the OCI application is another ton of pages to send to them.

Maybe the $20 is for the mailing charges. Hope u get ur SCs soon. I guess I will do the same.... Atleast I dont have to shell out 175 for both of us since I got my citizenship before May 31.

although I am pretty sure they will just send it first class and use the opportunity to milk us of every penny they can to fill their coffers.

If they say certified mail, it will be USPS Certified First Class mail with tracking number.