Surname in the Passport

jvelan

Registered Users (C)
1.Myself and My wife are waiting for a GC approval. Question is,She has a passport with her maiden Name on it,but all her records of GC are with my First Name has a last Name..Does she need to change the last Name in the PP before we go for the GC stamping? On other words..Does the passport need to Match the GC records?

2.Moreover we got the FP done 3 weeks ago,our case status says that it was transfered to Chicago.We live in Detroit.
Can anyone know what is this means?How long does the approval takes from this point.I was thinking to send the Passport to Chiacgo and change her surname,But it might take a Month.,In case if i get a approval meantime what do we do?

3.Do we need to go to Chicago for an interview? :confused:

can anyone please Explain

Last edited by a moderator:
Our Files were trasfered to Detroit from Chicago last week and we got a Interview letter for next month.Can anyone please give comments about the passport question?

Name change needs affidavit. So I think you must have any affidavit. I did not want to waste time on affidivit. So My wife name is still has her father surname. Any getting affidavit is 2 days job.

Thanks for your reply.,But i didn't understand much..Can i leave the passport as it is and get a Affidavit? we have our Original Marraige certificate,would that work? or else where can i get the Affidavit.Please explain.

take the marriage certificate and affidavit (safe side). You can go to any mailbox to get the affidavit (last name change), you can use current passport.

We had the same situation. Got a new passport for my wife with my last name. She got her EAD/AP with the changed last name. We also changed her name on he SS card.

Did you applied GC with a new passport? we have given a copies of old passport but the application was with my last name.so she have everything (EAD/AP and all recepits) with my last name except the passport..Hope the afflidavit would work while we got for stamping.

jvelan said:
Did you applied GC with a new passport? we have given a copies of old passport but the application was with my last name.so she have everything (EAD/AP and all recepits) with my last name except the passport..Hope the afflidavit would work while we got for stamping.

All the the forms (485, AP, EAD) for my wife were filled with my last name. If we sent the copies of passport there were with her maiden name. We got the name changed in her passport sometime early this year.

She has even travelled with her old passport and the AP without any problem

same situation...

Hi jvelan
My case is also similar as yours. My wife's last name changed in Dec 2001 and we forgot about it. we applied for 485 in Jan 2004 with her maiden name. We realized only until we travelled last Aug. We had no problem with it. I was also wondering what do to about it. Spoke to the lawyer (who is never helpful anyway and rude) and he said don't worry about it now. we don't want the GC to be with her maiden name. which makes it different in passport and GC. worried their might be problems later on.
Please keep us posted on yours.
Thx.

your case is Quite opposite to us.we have filled with my last name and havn't changed the passport yet,you have changed the passport but filled with the maiden name.My attorney said it wouldn't be a problem but for a safer said,we are gonna get a afflidavit.I'll keep you posted.thx.

My attorney said that we don't even need a passport for stamping.,he said we can get the stamping in a New I-94 with the photo.but we have carry that seperate whenever we need to travel.He also advised us to get a New passport for a conveniance.,Morever He said that officers doesn't accept the affidavits.so we are planning to apply for a new passport.Hope this would come in a month time.