Supporting Documents

senthils

Registered Users (C)
Gurus,

Please tell me what all documents are required to be sent in with the N400 application other than the copy of one's Green card, photos, fees?

Thanks a bunch.

Thanks for the reply.

Do everyone need to send copies of tax returns (IRS-certified copies/transcripts) for the past 3 years with their N400 application OR is it just if you are applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen ?

We (me and my wife) both are permanent residents (got GC thru EB2 category).

Thanks.

Everyone needs tax return transcripts for last 3-5 years as it relates to your LPR status varification plus ( as I interprete it) they want to make sure you do not have tax liability outstanding. Thsi requirement has nothing to do whether you file as a spouse of a US citizen or on your 5 year GC period.
Additionaly, if you are filing N 400 as spouse of US citizen, they want to see if you are filing joint tax return or not, you have joint bank account or not, living togethr or not etc to check if the marriage is still on or broken up by the time you have appeared for the interview.
please read discussion under this forum for more on tax return.

filing tax returns

It is requred that as LPR one files tax returns as U.S. RESIDENT unless his income is so low that he was not requied to file the return. One may have to explain reasons for nonfiling of tax return ( such as very low income ) at the time of interview. But if he has filed a tax return as NON-RESIDENT OF U.S. , then it would mean that he has abondoned his LPR status and so he has lost his GC and therefore his N 400 cannot be processed.
At the time of interview, The officer may rightfully would demand 5 yrs tax returns to varify three things:
1. has the applicant failed to file rax return eventhogh he was required to do so?
2. has the applicant ever in last five years filed a tax return as NON-RESIDENT OF U.S.?
3. in case of N 400 based on spouse being US citizen, has the applicant filed joint tax return or not? If not joint, he may demand some explaination.

So it is very essential for ALL applicants ( USC spouse based or otherwise)
to go for interview with 5 years tax return transcripts in order to satisfy above requirements. I would not count on the fact that interview letter has not particularly mantioned to bring 5 yrs tax returns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply.

Just one more question. Do I have to send the transcripts with N400 application?

I assuming it is only required to be brought with you for the interview and not mailed in with the application. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by a moderator:
You do not ( or it is not equired to ) send transcripts with filing N-400.
You only take with you at the interview.

Transcripts are always best...if you had any trips more than 6 months, you can also send in copies of your 1040s but will need transcripts at the time of interview to back your 1040s up...this is what I did since I didn't have time to get transcripts before I applied...

1040s prove that you filed taxes...
1722s prove that you actually PAID the taxes you filed...

Ratrat

You need to include IRS filings only if you have taken a trip outside US on more than six months - as per Document Checklist - 1st para on page 52.
Please clarify if I am wrong
Siva

Add a covering letter too. Someone suggested to me on this forum. Probably it did contribute to us getting an interview call soon. Thanks to the forum.