Supervisor

journalist777

Registered Users (C)
I asked my lawyer to inquire about my case why decision was delayed and office replied

The case is under supervisor and because of staff shortage and huge workload decisions are delayed.

I am waiting for decision more than 1 month.

Initially I thought it was sent to HQ, but no they told us it is in the process of supervision

Does it mean anything?

If cases are referred to judge are they still in supervisors review? I remember from film "well founded fear" that supervisors review all cases, even if asylum officer wants to refer to judge. But it was long ago, now they have huge work load.

Any advice?

There was a Congressional hearing on abuse of credible fear just a little over a week ago. You can get info here: http://judiciary.house.gov/hearings/113th/hear_12122013.html. What you will find out is that credible fear claims have increased over 500% since 2007 and USCIS is in process of hiring over 100 new asylum officers. Credible fear interviews get priority over everything else because those people are in detention. If the office you interviewed at has a heavy credible fear case load what you hear about waiting for supervisor to review may very well be true. Be patient.

Thanks

Majunzk thanks for sharing this link

Yes office also replied that because of increase of detainees office has shortage in staff. (I believe credible fear interview you mean interviews for those who have been arrested by immigration police)

No, credible fear is different. When someone arrives and does not have proper documents they can be sent back immediately without seeing an immigration judge - unless they say they are afraid to return. If they say they are afraid, the inspectors, or the border patrol agents if they are caught sneaking into the country, must detain them and have an asylum officer come to interview them and get their preliminary story to determine if they have a credible fear. If so they are allowed to present their complete case to the immigration judge and apply for asylum. It is not a good system since it requires that some real refugees are held in prison here for months and sometimes years while their asylum claims are being heard. There is a movie called "Chasing Freedom" based on a true story about an Afghani woman that shows some of what this system is about. They don't show her credible fear interview, but they mention it and the asylum officer.