Suggestions for FAQ welcome here !!!

Raju595

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I endorse alren's idea of coming with a FAQ area for the CP Process. In my two years close association with the forum I am seeing the same questions crop up over and over again.

At this time we do have an enormous amount of data related to almost all the aspects of the CP process. While members who can browse for long time and search can find the answers it may be difficult for some of them.

So we will go ahead and build this thread and it would take some time to properly log all the questions and properly organize them.

We welcome the suggestions from all the members here in this thread. Please keep the actual FAQ thread free of posts till such time we can truly mark it
as a reference point (a kind of one stop shop).

Appreciate your interest in this common effort!!

Raju

I agree with you. Newcomers should spend sometime on this portal before asking same old questions again & again. There should be a FAQ which should be easy to access and at the top of this thread. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for creating this.

I've modified the top post in the FAQ thread with a link here.

FAQ - Rejection and Delay Scenarios for CP

Raju595, Alren.

These forums are valuable source of information. However, there is not much information about the cases where the CP application got rejected at the consulate. It will be helpful and quell unnecessary fear, if we can add rejected cases.

Also there are a couple of scenarios like Name Check, which cause delay in visa issuance. FAQ section could have details of these scenarios and ways (if possible) to avoid these.

Again, thanks for the initiative.

Raju595 said:
Hi All,

I endorse alren's idea of coming with a FAQ area for the CP Process. In my two years close association with the forum I am seeing the same questions crop up over and over again.

At this time we do have an enormous amount of data related to almost all the aspects of the CP process. While members who can browse for long time and search can find the answers it may be difficult for some of them.

So we will go ahead and build this thread and it would take some time to properly log all the questions and properly organize them.

We welcome the suggestions from all the members here in this thread. Please keep the actual FAQ thread free of posts till such time we can truly mark it

Raju

FAQ with all URL / email address / Phone numbers

Raju595, Alren.

Two Points:

1:
FAQ with all URL / email address / Phone numbers for status follow up could also be added. This would have NVC and Consulates email / URL / Phone numbers.

2:
You may also want to add some details about the when should one write email or call. e.g. A person with current PD should call 10 days after the case is sent from NVC to the consulate.

I have written 3-4 emails (may be a bit exessive) to Mumbai Consulate. There response is succint and most of the time miss the point. I guess, they dont read the whole email to respond to your questions. And they just answer one of the question. So you may want to metion this point and probably suggest to people to write simple and one question email to the consulate.

Raju595 said:
Hi All,

Raju

I believe the first step would be to compile all the questions. Usually some questions are repeated over and over again. I see that these are some of the basic questions.

General Timeline questions
-What are the various stages

General Priority Date / Retrogression questions
-What is P.D.
-How is a particular category affected for C.P.

I-140 Approved - case goes to NVC questions
-What to do after approval
-Whom to contact (NVC details/hours/best time)
-Messages expected at NVC AVM
-What happens if the case number is not generated at NVC after 90 days
-What to do if P.D. is incorrect on the I-140

NVC Issues DS-3032 questions
-In what cases does NVC issue/not issue DS-3032
-To whom does the DS3032 go to (lawyer/self etc)
-What are the expected messages on NVC AVM

Fee Bill questions
-How to add spouse/dependent?
-How is the amount to be sent (MO/Cashier's cheque...), what preparation can be done in advance?
-How can the fees be sent (USPS/courier)?
-How can one track the fee bill?
-What are the expected messages on NVC AVM after the Fee bill has been encashed?

Packet 3 questions
-Mailing questions (USPS/courier etc)
-Documents comprising Packet3 and what else has to be sent
-What are the expected messages on NVC AVM before review?
-Address change after Packet 3

NVC Case review questions
-Nature of review
-What are the expected messages on NVC AVM

Appointment questions
-What are the expected messages on NVC AVM after the case goes to consulate?

P3 is passed on to the consulate
-Contacting the consulate
-Contacting the Doctors/Labs
-Where to stay and how much duration would the stay be?
-Transit visas for return flights

Interview Questions
-Appointment letter (where/contents) Where can the P4 be picked up? By whom?
-Documents to carry and copies required
-PCC questions - where to get one (different scenarios), who all need it and what is the validity?
-BC unavailability - what to do?
-BC affidavit - what is the general template? Under what conditions is it required?
-Immunization records / lack of records
-Surgeries/Other Health problems - what to indicate?
-Name check - procedure, extent of delay, what can be done to expedite?
-Visa Refusal questions - can one go back to H1?
-SSN to be applied for again?

POE questions
-What all documents are required?
-What is the procedure to be followed?
-Adress for the plastic cards?

Plastic Card questions
-Welcome letters - when?
-SSN
-Travel before getting Plastic Cards to contiguous/non contiguous territories?

URLs can be added to this wherever available as we go along. Thanks to all contributors - a step in the right direction.
Sandeep

Last edited by a moderator:
FAQs for CP -- overview of CP

Q: What is the overview of stages for processing of papers in CP?
A: once CIS approves the I-140, the process is as follows:

a). CIS sends approved I-140 to NVC (National Visa Center, New Hampshire).

NVC Tel number is 603 334 0700 (automated response system). Use your petition number from I-140 approval notice to check the status. You will get your *NVC Case Number* from this system.

Note that this *NVC case number* is not the same as *Visa number*. Visa number is the one that a petitioner gets once their category of visas is current for their country and type of petition e.g. EB1/EB2/EB3 etc.

b). NVC sends to you (or your lawyer), a fee bill.

c). you send the {fee bill + payment by Postal order}, back to NVC (this goes to a PO Box address in St Louis; so you have to use USPS only. no courier service).

d). NVC sends to you/your lawyer, the famous "Packet 3"

If not done already, you may add your spouse name at this time, before sending your DS-230 back. How?
- request NVC to send fee bill for your spouse. you need to send copies of your marriage certificate + spouse Date of Birth certificate
- send the Fee bill + money order to NVC
- receive Packet 3 from NVC for your spouse

(if you are not married at this stage, but plan to get married before getting your GC, and are wondering if you can use your priority date for your spouse? Yes, you may do this! you may add your spouse to the process until your CP interview or even until you enter US after your CP interview. This will be under *Follow to join* procedure.
Once you enter the US as a new immigrant and are unmarried, then it is Over. your spouse (if outside the US) will be stuck with the family based GC quota.

e). you fill out packet 3 (DS-230 form) part 1, and send it back to NVC.

From here on, it is about 2 months for the CP interview.

f). Request PCC(s). Police clearance certificates. Must be dated within 6 months of interview.
* You need PCC from every country you have lived after age 16.
* For Indian citizens, living in the US for atleast 6 months before interview and going to India for CP interview > need only 1 PCC from Indian emabssy in the USA.
* For Indian citizens, living in the US for less than 6 months before interview and going to India for CP interview > need {1 PCC from Indian emabssy in the USA + 1 PCC from local passport office of petitioner's address in india + 1 PCC from local police station of petitioner's address in india)

g). NVC reviews the packet 3 (in about 4-6 weeks) and forwards it to the US Consulate in your home country.

h). US Consulate sends to you/your lawyer, an email regarding date of visa interview.

i). receive Packet 4 from the consulate by mail {or someone can go and pick it up personally from the US consulate. They just need your case number for reference}.

j). get a Notarized letter from your employer that your job is still available and you will be employed permanently + your last 3 years' tax returns (not your employer's). This letter should be dated within 1 month of your interview.

k). Go to your home country for visa interview. The day you land there, send an email to the consulate to *initiate name check process*. May be you can go to the consulate personally and ask them to do it.

l). Take your medicals. (keep atleast 2 days buffer before interview).

m). go and take the interview.

vol-ny-balram said:
Raju595, Alren.

These forums are valuable source of information. However, there is not much information about the cases where the CP application got rejected at the consulate. It will be helpful and quell unnecessary fear, if we can add rejected cases.
In my couple of years of lurking around here, I have not seen CP cases been rejected. So I think this is kind of moot.

alren said:
In my couple of years of lurking around here, I have not seen CP cases been rejected. So I think this is kind of moot.

Hi

My son was follow to join I 824, this was approved by service centre, cable diod not reach consulate, case missing, cspa case, after congressmans help e-mail from consulate said # aged out # attorney thinks they are wrong and consulted with other attornies who agree son is/should be protected. No formal letter of denial has been received by attorney, petitioner or child

so question.

What to do if file goes missing between service centre and consulate or nvc/service centre/consulate ?