Sue USCIS? (not FBI check matter)

aniretake

Registered Users (C)
I am looking for advice regarding the possibility of filing a lawsuit against USCIS, and how/where to find a lawyer who would help.
The story is such:
I was married to US citizen, became a vicitm of domestic violence (no need to say - it is hell), filed I-360 (VAWA)...which was pending for almost 3 years!!! because USCIS lost my A-file. During all this time I was not able to legally work (I-360 does not allow you to apply for work permit until it is approved), was not able to live the normal life - i suffered from clinical depression, was on medications all the time.
Finally it was approved, I filed I-485, had my interview on May 25, 2006. But...no decision was made because the interviewing officer decided to request the missing file once again! So am I going to wait another 3 years?5 years? I am a young intelligent woman,i have no criminal record, I always obeyed immigartion laws, i suffered through enough already to go through all this. I DID NOT lose the A-file - USCIS did but i am paying a high price for that.
So...I am looking for advice on what I can do, especially about filing a lawsuit. Any opinions are very appreciated.

See any lawyer, not necessarily the best one.

aniretake,

I am sorry to hear that you have been in a bad situation. My advice to you is you first talk with any immigration lawyer in your area or in the State to discuss your matter. If you search at google.com., you will find some lawyers who offer a free consultation. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Freeman, but i have a free lawyer, but she does not care. And i cannot afford another one (no guarantees they ll be better).

Hi

I am very sorry for your situation

Book and info pass and an appointment with your congressman they cas push and get answers for your case

Ask your attorney to write letter of mandamus

Regards Sue
www.expatsvoice.org

You can try this

Please check out the link http://www.apalc.org/ and look for Julie Su. Others staffs there also very helpul. I believed one or two of the staff were the specialized in VAWA case. Contact them. with this non-for-profit org. it'll take some times though.

Best Regard,
~C

After writing to the Senator, to the President and to the Ombudsman of USCIS, I am finally APPROVED! Thank you everyone! :)

Can you post how it was resolved? My wifes " A file " or sealed brown envelope with all papers was lost by USCIS and they are threatening to call her case abandoned. I have contacted my congressman and senator with no results. USCIS says they lost the papers or never received them from her port of entry from CBP. The scariest part is an email I received thru my senator from the USCIS saying they lose MOST of the sealed brown envelopes. I am very concerned now about identity theft, if this happens all the time then the possibility of identity theft is very real as that A-file envelope contains all of our personal, financial and medical information. not to mention how we can proceed with my wifes immigration. Where do those papers go? If they "lose" most of them then someone knows where they go. Is it USCBP ?

Last edited by a moderator: