Sucessful H1B and H4 Stamping at Tijuana

desimaverick

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

I just came back from Tijuana, MX after getting H1B stamping for myself and H4 for my wife. Most of the information i got from this forum about Tijuana is spot on. I knew what i needed to do even before i went there....thanks to input from lot of people in this forum.

I will answer any of your questions about the visa process in Tijuana for the next one week or so. before that let me tell you about some facts most people will have trouble about.

1. We took Mexico visa before we went to Tijuana as we did not want to take any chance and wanted to go there legally. But, when i am crossing the border post into Tijuana, no one was there to even ask us about the Mexican visa.

2. I took Mexican visa from Minneapolis Mexican consulate as it is the closest one to my place. They charged $36 per person for the visa. it took about 7-8 days to get the visa. It may be more time for people down south.

3. Banamex bank is about 1/3rd Mile from the consulate and the entire process will take not more than 10-15 mts.

4. Question by the consular officer are the same basic ones:
A. where and whom do you work for?
B. Did you change the employer?
C. When do you plan to go back to India? ....for this i said in 2-3 years....but according to my attorney...we can even say that we applied for green card and they cannot refuse the visa based on this answer.
D. Pay stubs.
Thats all.. the whole interview process took about 4-5 minutes. The officer did not ask even one question to my wife.

5. We spent the remaining time until 3PM at a mall nearby (about 3/4th mile) called Rio plaza. It has burger king and McDonalds in it if you are hungry. The clothes in this mall are as expensive or even more expensive than in USA.

6. Collected our passports at 3PM. It took about 20 mts in line again to collect the passports.

7. Took an yellow cab back to the border. ($7).....The first cab from the border to the consulate asked for $8. Its better to take an yellow cab as those guys speak decent english. I found that the white cab guys hardly speak any english.

8. Then it took about 75 minutes in line at the Port of Entry to get the new I-94. Bring $6 exact change. The officer here basically asks the same questions that the visa officer asked you. He takes the finger prints and the photograph again.

9. Then in the same line you go the USCIS guy who scan your visa and lets you in.

10. Then you open the door of the room and breath the fresh air of San Diego. :D

I had my Visa interview at TJ on May 29th. The visa system was down in the afternoon, so we(5 guys) had to stay overnight and collect it the next day.

While the visa interview does seem to be straight forward, be prepared for such issues. Stayed at the Hotel Del Rio next to the consulate, it is in the same block but a total rip off($130 a night!!)