Successfull POE at Newark on Aug 24 ...

im9999

Registered Users (C)
Had a successfull POE yesterday but had to wait for atleast an hour .... the INS staff seemed pretty lethargic and were very slow ...

We also witnessed a guy being arrested on some immigration charges ... he was handcuffed and taken out with all is baggage !!

All in all CP is the way to go especially if you are confident about ur job and have a India vacation pending !!!

Now one needs to wait for the plastic card....

Congrats - welcome back

Welcome back to US. How was you vacation?
Sattle down and then give me a call.

Welcome back

Hey, yes agree with you on the CP way, especially when you have a holiday pending.

I was waiting since 12/01, to get to my interview as my 140 was approved in 9/01, but got interview finally on 7/23/02, same day as yours but in Mumbai. Finally, a good 5 weeks vacation after 4 years. Only down side was that the consulate wanted to do a name-check and made me return to Mumbai from Bangalore following week, which threw a spanner in the planning, otherwise all went well.

I think, go_on also had his interview on 7/23 at Mumbai, and we might have talked too. I think he also had to go through a name-check if I'm not mistaking him for someone else.

I applied for my new SSN card yesterday, st. forward.

Well, good luck with the plastic card.

AA Kumar ... is it necessary to aplly for a new SSN ???

I see that a lot of people are doing that ....

Whats the advantage as well as the disadvantage of doing so?

New SSN card quite essential

Hi,

If you have a card currently that has a restriction on it, such as:

- Not valid for work without INS authorization
- Not valid for work

etc., then, when you apply for another job, and show your SSN card to the personell department, they will refuse to accept your application, if you cannot convince them that you are already a permanent resident and that you don't need any further INS authorization.

Convincing an administrative assistant or even a HR manager who has never hired a foreigner before (i.e. not gone through a H1-B process or similar before) may not recognize such issues. Of course they might consult their law dept. and then accept your application after checking your plastic GC, but it's an additional administrative process to prove that you don't need the authorization.

In the case of a spouse visa (H4) where it says, not allowed to work, then those individuals' application will most certainly run into more trouble. So, it's best to get a new SSN card, mind you your existing number will remain the same, but the restriction will not appear, which means your status is no different to that of a citizen as far as work conditions apply.

The process is quite straight forward and it should take only a few minutes.

Good luck.

please answer..

hi,

1)when we show H1 extension paper(which not stamped on passport) to officer on interview day will he return our h1 extension or not.
2) i am just curious , anyone know what that sealed packet given after interview contains?

thanks
gcvege

H1B & GC pkt.

Hi,

1. H1-B Notice of Action, original, will be requested by officer to verify that you maintained your legal status, especially as your machine readable visa for your prior H1 (or H4) would be expired.

2. The sealed GC pkt. is yellow in color with all the documents you provided during the application process, like DS-230 Parts 1&2, birth/mrg. certs., PCC, etc.. The packet will also have sheet stapled to the outside. This sheet contains various data about you, including name, addr., dob, pob, parents details, ppt. number etc. and your photo with your signature on it, that you would sign during the interview process.

Your spouse (if you have one) will also receive a similar packet with her application papers inside and this will also contain the i-824 affidavit of support. The outside will have the same sheet but with his/her details and photo.

The outside sheet is quite colorul, with US Govt. logo and stamps and seals and crimps to prevent forgery, couterfeiting, duplication and what have you.