Successfull 8th yr H1b Extn stamping Tijuana, Mexico

kaachu

HI,

This forum was very helpful in preparing the docs needed for H1b Stamping. Now its my turn to post my experience.

I had the visa appt in Tijuana, Mexico on Oct, 2006 . My case was basically H1b 8th yr extn stamping. I didn't have 7 th , extn stamped as I didn't have any travel plans.

These are docs that I carried.

Passport
1-94
2 passport photograph
I-797 for 7th yr & 8th yr
DS-156,157
BANAMEX Receipt $100
LCA
Copy of I-129
I140 approval notice
employment offer letter
employment continuation letter
Prev Experience letters
W-2 form for 2005
2005 Federal tax returns
2 months Pay stubs
Resume that was submitted along with the I-129 application
Current updated Resume
Degree certificate and transcript
- BS degree
- Transcript
- Company’s profile
bank statements

We stayed in a Travel lodge, San Ysidro. From hotel the border is just 10 min walk.

I was there in the border around 7:45 am. Took A cab to the US consulate( takes 20 min from the border).. After reaching the consulate, I asked to my wife to stand in the line) and I went to the BANAMEX bank to get the receipt. After collecting the receipt waited in the line for 15 mins. After a while, some security lady called me and all other H1b stamping Applicants and sent us inside even before the appt time.

After the clerk verifying the I94/i797 ,she took photos & finger printing and asked us to wait in the line for the Visa interview.

The Visa offcier asked my I797 and pay stubs. She noticed that I didn't have my 7th yr extn stamped and asked my 7th yr approval just to verify that I was not out of status. After goin thru it, she said that my Visa is approved and I could collect the passport at 3 pm. She even suggested some Veg Indian Restaurant nearby. That was the coolest thing I have ever experienced.

On that day all H1b stampings were successful. Collected the passport@ 3 pm and successfuuly re entered the US border. In the US border, got a new
I 94( hacve to pay $6 in the border) with expiry date as per the new visa.

My Wife's H4-H1b stamping was also successful. Have posted that info as a separate thread.

Thanks.. and good luck for all

Hi kaachu,
Congrats! I have a question. Was your old visa stamped on the passport expired more than 12 months ago when you went for the stamping? I am also planning to go to Tijuana for my 8th year H1 extension but the H1 Visa stamped on my passport has expired in 0ct 2005. I heard if it is more than 12 months we have to go to home country for stamping. Any idea is that true. Thanks

Hi,

I am planning to h1-B extension at Tijuana.

I want to fly from SFO,CA to the US border city.Which airport is close the border?

Please suggest.

Thanks,
Srinath

san deigo, ca...

srinath2002 said:
Hi,

I am planning to h1-B extension at Tijuana.

I want to fly from SFO,CA to the US border city.Which airport is close the border?

Please suggest.

Thanks,
Srinath

Hi kaachu,

I am planning to go from NYC to Tijuana, and you mentioned that san diego is the closest airport, so tijuana should be less than an hour away from there.
can you please tell me the TOTAL costs you paid for visa stamping - is it only Banamex of $100, or are there any other costs you paid? Asking because I recall paying much more in Montreal.
Also, did you need to get a visa to enter Tijuana - how much is the visa? and finally, are you able to get an appointment in Tijuana immediately, or is there a long wait?

thanks in advance

becomes kind of expensive, if you dont live close to a consulate
:(

Last edited by a moderator:
gcwhenever,

Along with $100 non-refundable fee, you need to pay $50 inside the embassy after your visa is approved. These are the only major fees I can think of.

gcwhenever,

Along with $100 non-refundable fee, you need to pay $50 inside the embassy after your visa is approved. These are the only major fees I can think of.

If you are Indian national, the 50$ fee is waived off.
you have to only pay $100.
If you are driving, you might have to pay $6 for I-94 (I read it somewhere on this forum)-- Not sure on this though.

-GCCovet