Successful Mumbai CP on Dec 27

ramukhsotnas

Registered Users (C)
Hi All:

I have been receiving emails etc. with questions so I am posting this even though I have no new details to offer. I did NOT have to do PCC from India so I have no idea about that.

I picked up appt letter when I got to mumbai from the public info counter at the US consulate (one advice go really early 5:30 ish or u may not make it and have to return the next day like me).

Stayed at Shalimar Hotel in Kemps Corner - walked to the consulate. Excellent hotel - in-house internet access 24 hrs.

Medical at Breach Candy. Did not have any prior records - went at 7:30 - got report at 1:00. Ample breaks in between to do errands etc.

Photo at My Own Studio. Got it in 2 days. 70 rupees (i think).

Drafts made at Canara Bank (Any reputed bank will do - no cooperative banks though.) US embassy accepts USD cash but not $100 bills. Advice to use IOB near consulate. I made 4 drafts (two for each of us) - they advice one draft per family for application fee but one draft per person for issuance fee. For the record - 12480 pp for app fees. 3120 pp for issuance fees ($ figure and rate is on pkt 4).

Interview was at 10:30. Do not show up there more than 15 minutes early. Were out by 12:15 and collected passports at 3:00. You can take plastic bags (desi style) in - just no electronic items. folders you carry docs in can be any type.

Details

As soon as you go in take your interview letter and app fees to counter. They give u a receipt and u wait in a big room. Your name is called (even though only primary\'s name is called - whole family has to go in) - and Indian person takes docs (contrary to what is said - give them each doc they ask - no religious adherence to any order

Primary -

First they ask for "forms". Then other docs - just give them as they ask (take copies of imp docs you need back like birth cert, marriage cert)

DS 230 part 1 and 2, IRS 9003 (mine was not yellow - did not matter).
Made me write indian address in item 13 of part 1.

medical - they give u x rays back.

Birth certificate.
Emp letter (mine was 3 months old. did not matter)
Marriage cert (they were confused a bit by US marriage cert)

Made me sign a doc which says something about how u will report for this job on arrival in the US etc.

Secondary

DS 230 part 1 and 2, IRS 9003 (not yellow - did not matter).
had to write indian address in item 13 of part 1.

medical - they give u x rays back.

SSC Cert with affidavits (NO non availability cert) was accepted.

Did not ask for or take affidavit of support. I was surprised (maybe because she is on H1b - not sure).

The "interview" (45 seconds)
What company do you work for?
sign the ds 230 part 2 forms.
Raise your right hand and swear you said the truth.
asked to pay fees and come back at 3:00.

picked up at 3:00 checked info on it - all correct.

PORT OF ENTRY (Boston)

No more I-94s!
Go to the visitors line. They take ur papers - wait a bit - take finger print - stamp passport for a year and write the A number on it. They keep the whole packet. Did not ask for the x ray. Asked us to call INS in boston if we do not get the card in 6-8 months. The stamp is "golden" (in the words of the INS officer) - u can use it for employment and travel out of the US.

OTHER INFO -

I TOOK ALL THE DOCUMENTS EVERYONE TALKS ABOUT -
previous visa papers, degrees, transcripts, tax transcripts, banks statements, brokerage acct statements, etc. etc. I had a folder of old immigration docs, one for financial docs, one for educational records. same for my w

Did everyone for CP got the approval that day!!

Congraculations...
Also do they ask the secondary applicant questions is she is on H1..

...more...

They did not ask any questions to me or my spouse. they did ask me the name of the company i work for (as i mentioned).

Most CP cases are family-based and they face a much higher burden of proof. I do not know if everyone got the visa or if there were rejections. A few employment based applicants I met all got their visas.

No Title

You mentioned they were a bit confused by a US marriage cert ?
Why is that ?
I have a marriage cert fron New Jersey .

thx

appointment letter

Thanks for the excellent info.
I have a couple of questions though:

What is the \'appointment letter\', and do you need it before the medical test? If so, where do you pick it up from, and is the spouse required to be present to pick that up?

Are you required to have an appointment for the medical test? Are \'walk ins\' permitted?

thanks..