Successful IV Interview and POE

Colt2003

Registered Users (C)
Hello All, FYI.. I had a successful IV interview on 12/16/2003 at Chennai and successful POE (SFO) today 01/08/2004.

My experience is similar to other posts. No significant questions at the consulate or POE. If any one is interested, I can detail the questions asked.

I once again express my sincere gratitude to this forum for all the wonderful help.

Best Regards

Colt2003

colt,

can you give a detailed experience like what others have. Whats the docs they asked, what questions etc

thanks

Even I am interested in your experiences at medicals, consulate and POE.Please write when you have time...

Thank you all and here is my experience

Thank you all and here is my experience.

As per plan, I reached Chennai on 12/10/2003. My wife flew from Hyderabad and joined me in Chennai. We checked into Hotel Crystal Residency. Average hotel with good service and proximity to consulate makes it recommendable.

Here is my experience with medicals at Chennai.

- went to Lister lab by 9.00 AM on 12/11/2003
- completed the paperwork, blood sample and x-ray
- colleted the lab reports at 5.00 PM
- visited Dr. Vijayalaxmi at 5.30 (I have fixed the appointment from US). We were out by 8.00 PM. Dr. Vijayalaxmi is very professional and courteous. I felt she was rushing us through the process but was OK. Finally she informed us that there is nothing to worry about and gave us the sealed envelops and returned the x-ray reports.
- Went to Konica opp. Chola Sheraton. The posts in this forum are true. This guy is a pro. He made us look like models and we are impressed by the end result. The photos are very nice.
- went to Bank of India for DD for Rs. 400/- for the courier.

Though I completed all my medicals in 1 day, I have kept the buffer (12/12, 12/13 and 12/15). Since my medicals are completed, I went to Vijayawada to visit my parents and in-laws.

- retuned to Chennai on 12/15/2003 at 2.00 PM and checked into Crystal Residency. Reviewed all papers and put them into an order based on the Packet 4 instructions.
- went to consulate (across the street) on 12/16/2003 by 7.45 PM. We were let in by 7.55 PM. I ran into a small issue here: At the security check, I noticed that I have my car key (device for key less entry) and RSA security key (my office n/w authentication key) with me. Since both are operated by battery, the security people did not allow me further. However after request the lady is kind enough to advise me that there is a chai (tea) shop at the corner towards thousand lights and he will keep the keys. I went straight to the tea shop while my wife went pass though the security check. The tea shop guy took the keys and gave me a token and told me the service charge is Rs. 50/- I did not hesitate and said YES. I returned to consulate and went pass the security and joined my wife. This took about 15 minutes and we entered into the building with huge doors and were asked to sit.

Advise: Please DO not carry any electronic items which are operated by battery. By any chance if you carry, do not worry. There is a work around (Tea Shop and Rs. 50/-)

- An Indian lady was literally shouting instructions to write the mailing address for the courier and hand over the sealed envelopes from Dr.

- After another 1/2 hour waiting we were called by name to come to window 7 (I think). There was a middle aged Indian guy who asked us to give all the papers, first for me then for my wife. He was going though the papers and was throwing (in fact!) the extra papers at me. Some of the papers he retuned
* marriage photos - He looked at the photos and just returned them
* he took only lastest pay stub and returned rest of them. I carried last 3 months (6 pay stubs)
* bank statement print outs from web
* "Verification of Deposit" letter from Bank
* Only took the most recent H1 and H4

- After the collection of papers we were asked to sit.

- After another 1/2 hour waiting, We are called to window 5 or 6 (I think). There was an American Lady close to her 50s. She is very courteous and asked how we both are doing and asked whether we like California and whether my wife is interested to work after getting the green card. She asked whether we have kids and the answer is no.

There is one significant question she asked: In future, Are you going to return to India?
For a moment I did not understand the underlying question then I realized the intention in the question. I replied that I have been living in US for the last almost 5 years and my wife and I are living for the last 3 years after our marriage and we have our memories in US. Also, my sister is in US and my brother is working in Middle East. I have more friends in US and I am getting close to friends in US than friends and relatives in India. After living for 5 years, I started feeling that US is also my home. Of course I will be visiting India to visit my parents.

She is satisfied with the answer and agreed with me about the 5 year living and started feeling that US is also my home. I asked her how she is feeling about Chennai. She said it is OK.

Then she asked us to raise our right hand and say yes. As we already collected the originals from the Indian guy, the Lady said she did not have any originals to return and said our visa is issued and we will get the visa in mail in next 2-3 days. We thanked the lady and were out of consulate by 10.30 AM. The interview was about 10 minutes.

- went to the tea shop and showed the token and paid Rs. 50/- and I got my car key and security key back
- We returned to Crystal Residency. My wife and I thought of celebrating and asked the Hotel guys about a good Kerala restaurant. I never tasted Kerala food. They suggested a restaurant (I did not remember the name, but is opp. to Hotel Palmgroove). If you like sea food this is a restaurant worth visit. I found it really good and am delighted by the service. I recommend visiting this restaurant.

- In the evening checked out of hotel and left for Hyderabad.

- The next day 12/17/2003, we received our Visas by courier at 8.00 PM (The guy told me that there was some delay in getting the shipment from Chennai). The names, DOBs, address and parent names are all OK.

At the POE on 01/08/2004 at San Francisco airport:

- There is a separate line for New Immigrants. There is no one prior to me. The officer took my passport and the visa packet. He checked it and asked me how I got the visa. I said mine is an employment based visa. He asked what my occupation is and I replied as Software Engineer. He asked me to put my right pointing finger impression and sign the pages. After that He stamped my pass port and I thanked him and went to collect my baggage. No issues at the customs and I am out of airport.

My wife will return to US in March 2004. I think and hope her experience at POE will be similar to mine.

I felt very happy about the decision that I made to go though CP route than I-485 (this is my personal feeling. Please think about your case and make your own decision). I should thank this forum for much of that happiness, as I felt that I was always a step ahead through out the CP process because of the information I found in these posts.

I once again express my sincere gratitude to this forum for all the wonderful help.

Best Regards

Durga Prasad (Colt2003)

Last edited by a moderator:
Durga Prasad,

Congratulations on your successful completion of the process.

Now after a week or so, you may want to go to the nearest
SS Administration Office and apply for your new SS card.

Carry the passport and your old card.

Raju

Interview question

Hi Durga Prasad
-------------------------------------------------------
" There is one significant question she asked: In future, Are you going to return to India?
For a moment I did not understand the underlying question then I realized the intention in the question"
---------------------------------------------------------

I haven't still realized what is the underlying question?
So it is not just casual question out of curiosity?
What if one answers this question as per what he thinks, like
As of today, I am personally thinking of returning to India some time in future. (I think my kids would want to continue here in US)

Is there any potential problem in answering this question that Yes, I might/would think of retuning to India in some future time.

Raju, Kd I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks

Re: Interview question

Originally posted by Zapit
Hi Durga Prasad
-------------------------------------------------------
" There is one significant question she asked: In future, Are you going to return to India?
For a moment I did not understand the underlying question then I realized the intention in the question"
---------------------------------------------------------

I haven't still realized what is the underlying question?
So it is not just casual question out of curiosity?
What if one answers this question as per what he thinks, like
As of today, I am personally thinking of returning to India some time in future. (I think my kids would want to continue here in US)

Is there any potential problem in answering this question that Yes, I might/would think of retuning to India in some future time.

Raju, Kd I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks

While I think you can state your mind and still be OK, I need
to state the following.

the fact of the matter is, you are intending to become a
permanent resident. This implies that you are planning to
make your life in US. With this in background, the politically
correct answer would be to say that you want to stay in US
permanently.

This would be more satisfying to the officer to hear and at the
same time this would not alter your actual plans in any way.

Raju