Successful interview at Chennai - Sep 23 2004

subhasankalp

Registered Users (C)
I did not speak about my CP interview before. All I can say is that it
was a 2 minute exercise. Dcuments were collected about 10 minutes after we entered the waiting area for immigrant visa applicants. I do not recall getting any out of the ordinary requests for documents. In many ways the documents requested were mininal (e.g. last year tax return and nothing else for financial docs). We were called for the interview
approximately 1.5 hours after the documents were collected. Following
was the exchange between immigration official and me:

Q. Why do you want to go back to the U.S.?
A. I would like to continue working for my present employer.

Q. Who is your employer?
A. Blah...

Q. Who are the main competitors for your employer?
A. Blah, blah...

Q. (addressed to my wife) Do you still working for Blah?
A. Yes

The immigration official at this point asked us to go back to the
waiting area. He called us 5 minutes later to tell us that the visas
have been issued for myself and my wife and they will arrive in courier
in a couple of days.

My wife and I entered US on Oct 3 at Seattle. Once again thank you for all the help. Special thank you rashmi_rau for posting prompt replies.

Congrats Subhashankalp! Thanks for sharing u r experience.

Can you post the complete list of documents requested?

Thanks..

List of Documents

PLease post the list of documents that was requested from you at the time of document collection.

/S

Thank you everybody. I was asked the following documents:

1. DS-230 part 1 and 2
2. Notarized employement letter
3. Paystubs for last 2 months
4. Tax return for 2003
5. I-797s for my present employer and previous employer
6. I-20s
7. Birth certificate
8. Police clearance certificates (I got from the consulate in SF and one from the local police in my home city back in India)

My wife was asked the following documents:
-------------------------------------------

1. Birth certificate
2. Marriage certificate
3. Marriage photos
(Note: she is independently employed on a H1-B. No documents were asked relating her for present employer or grad school)

Hope this is helpful.

subhasankalp,
Was your Birth certificate in English?

Anyone knows if the embassy people have other language speaking employees to check the original documents against translations?

emailraja:

My birth certificate was in English. There are specific guidelines for submitting a birth or marriage certificate in your native tongue. Please check the consulate website for additional documentation that needs to be submitted for docs that require translation.

emailraja said:
subhasankalp,
Was your Birth certificate in English?

Anyone knows if the embassy people have other language speaking employees to check the original documents against translations?

First check the consulate website to know the guidelines for submission of documents in a language other than English. I believe they need a notarized translation of the document. With little research you should be able to find
these certified translators in India.

Even though the Consulate has people speaking the local languages I don't think they would translate the documents. They will normally help those interviewees who cannot speak english (this ofcourse does not apply to employment category Immigrant visas).

Raju