Successful H1B visa stamping in Kuala Lumpur US Embassy in Malaysia

bllau

Registered Users (C)
I don't see a lot of M'sian posted their experience here. Hope my experience will help. Feel free to ask any question, but don't expect fast response due to the slow internet connection here in Malaysia.

I was very impressed with how fast it took for me to revalidate my stamp here. By using the online electronic form available in the Malaysia US embassy website, I got approved the next business day. The trip to the embassy for interview was a pleasant one during the first day (Dec 16). However slightly unpleasant when picking up my passport the next business day (Dec 17). Originally I have a H1B visa stamp obtained from Toronto, but expired in Oct 2002. Got rejection letter 221 (g) from Dept of State when applying for revalidation in Aug 2002 with the following reason: Your application is not clearly approvable at this time. You must apply for a new visa overseas at a U.S. embassy or consulate that processes nonimmigrant visa applications.

On the first day, the interviewer only asked me one question, i.e. how many yrs with my company. I have had heard other first-time applicant was asked at least 5 questions. Then, he fingerprinted electronically both my index fingers, and gave me a green card to pick up my passport the next business day between 2:30 to 3:30 pm.

The next day, I arrived at 3:15 pm, and found out the wrong expiration date in my visa. Actually, I got an I-797A extension from Feb 2004 to March 2006. My lawyer asked me to put my current I-797A which valid from Feb 2001 to Feb 2004 on top and the extension at the bottom. They gave me up to Feb 2004. The staff said I should put the extension on top if I need to extend to 2006 because they don't have time to review each of them. Actually I specifically mentioned to the interviewer that I got two petitions in there, and also in my cover letter of the application package. Then I waited there for them to issue me an updated one valid till March 06. However, they made a mistake again by giving me the correct extension date but wrong LIN #. Then they finally made it correct the third time. I wasted two pages of my passport with 2 rejected visas. However, I am going to renew my passport anyway, so no big deal. I got my application materials back except DS156 and DS157. I left the embassy at 4:00 pm.

Here is a checklist of the application materials that I enclosed:
1) Cover letter
2) Pink payment slip from RHB bank showing RM380 paid to the US Embassy Visa
3) Bank draft of RM34.20 (can be from any bank)
4) DS-156
5) DS-157
6) I-797A (current)
7) I-797A (extension)
8) Copy of the H1B petition (I-129) (current)
9) Copy of the H1B petition (I-129) (extension)
10) Letter of employment (with company letterhead)
11) Original university transcripts
12) Original pay stubs
13) Copies of W2 tax forms
14) Copy of offer letter
15) Copies of degree certificates
16) 221 (g) from US Dept of States (in reference to question 31 in DS-156)
17) Passport

I don't even think they look at each of them, since the staff already said they don't have time to look thru each document.

Again, I'm impressed with how fast they processed my visa. Make sure u do the online application form which will generate the bar code in DS156, and they really speed up the process as claimed in their website, i.e. most visa will be approved the next business day by using the form, and no appointment needed since the interview is walk-in. Also, my advice is to take care of the bank stuffs the day before since the consulate section only opens from 7:45 am to 10:00 am, and you may running short of time doing it at the same day. Good luck to those who wish to apply for the H1B visa in M'sia soon!

For your further information, the best way to get to the embassy from Kuala Lumpur city center is taxi. However, you can use the LRT or bus too since it will cost less, and won't mind sweating. For LRT, you have to walk for about 10 minutes when arriving at the Ampang Park station. Check out http://www.putra.com.my for more information.

Congratulations!

Hi fellow Malaysian,
Congrats, now I have the hope going back to Malaysia for vacation. At least, I got one positive response from you. My current condition my visa expired ( old company ), now I'm working for another company. Is that your case as well??

Thank you.

rsritharan,

Yes, I originally got a H1B stamp in my passport with my ex company that expired in Oct 2002. Besides, I have been in US since 1995 (school and work), and probably another reason I got the stamp so fast. Good luck, and have a safe trip back.