Successful H1B Stamping - Nov 7 - Vancouver

beowulfkid

Registered Users (C)
Folks,
Thought of sharing my successful H1B stamping experience with you so that even if this can help one person, it wud be worth it.
Date: 7th Nov 2005.
Place: Vancouver, BC.
Appointment Time: 8:30 AM
Points of Interest: 1) Did not complete Masters
2) Changed field i.e., Mechanical to Software.
Result: Successful H1B Stamping -- Passport returned on the same day.

How did I travel -- Chicago to Vancouver -- Flight.
Stayed where -- Days Inn (Victoria Dr. & Kingsway)
How far from Embassy: 4 miles.
How did I go to Embassy : Carpooled with folks going to Embassy who were staying in the same hotel. (Met them accidentally).

Process:
Stood in the line from 7:30 AM. Called in @ 8:30 AM. Security check at ground floor (actually 1st floor in the US!). Sent to 1st floor. Submitted
DS-156, DS-157 (with photo), Passport, $100, Employment Verification Letter (I did not give my original offer letter as I knew it would not be returned to me!). Waited for more than half an hr for my number to be called; went to 20th floor (real processing area). Gave finger impressions. waited for my number to be called. Finally, officer (who was luckily a decent indian guy) called my number.
Q1: How long you've been working for xxx ?
A: About 6 months.
Q2: I see that you are on OPT. Can you show me your OPT card ?
A: Here it is!
Q3: Where did you do your masters ?
A: xyz.
Q4: Can you show me your transcripts ?
A: Here is my official transcript. And here is the letter from my professor, who is my research & thesis advisor that I would be completing my program in spring 2006.
His Comment: ooooh! so you didnt complete your masters.
My comment: Iam completing it in spring 2006. I completed all the required course work. When I was about to defend, i got this offer. As this was a decent one, my prof. didnt want me to loose out on it. (Once again reinforced that I completed my course work).
Q5: show me your pay stubs.
A: Here they are!
Q6: What kind of work you do ?
A: Explained.
Q7: Which city you work ?
A: Chicago for xyz client.
Q8: What kind of work you do ?
A: Explained in detail. Used jargons here and there to impress. Talked about couple of professional certifications I have and how I use that knowledge in my work.
Q9: Where is your employer based ?
A: Edison, NJ
Q10: Do you ever go to employer site ? May be in the weekends ?
A: yeah.. we do go (I didnt want to say NO for any question).
Q11: Why do you usually go ?
A: (After framing my line of thought for a second I said) Usually when my presence is required to take some decisions about some projects or when any other big technical guy comes down to give a seminar or to attend training on new technology or to attend seminars.
His comment: Here you go! Please go and pay the $50 fee; collect the receipt from counter #1 and collect your passport @ 3 pm today. Have a nice day.
My comment: Thank you very much and you enjoy rest of your day. Bye!

Hope it helps guys. Thank you for all of your support. Bottom line is I believe (it is not an official statement and pl. dont count on me!) that you can get your H1B stamped if you have sufficient documentation (like letter from professor). All the very best to everyone. Bye!

Thanks for sharing your experience. Is it possible to have your email so i can ask you some question pls.

Thanks

Does Posted Processing Time matters?

Hi Beowulfkid/others,

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's really helpful. I have an appointment for revalidating my H1 visa in the first week of December (Friday) and I will be going to India on Saturday. While booking the appointment, it was mentioned that the processing time at Vancouver is one day. So I booked everything (appointment, hotel, plane tickets to India from Vancouver etc.) accordingly. Now I see the processing time at the same consulate has been increased to two days. I have no doubts about getting my visa stamped, however, if it's going to take two days then my ongoing journey (to India) will be screwed.

Does the posted processing time on the following website really matters? http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wait/tempvisitors_wait.php

Has anyone recently got their visa stamped on the same day in Vancouver US consulate?

Would requesting the case officer help? Did that helped in your situation?

Please advice.

Thanks.