Successful H-1B stamping at Vancouver on Nov. 9th

nikkib

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,
well, here is my experience at the US consulate at vancouver.
My appointment was at 9am on Thursday. I got there around 8am. Got some coffee and waited in line for almost an hour.
Went through security with no problems. The wait once inside wasnt too bad either.
First, they did finger printing and then my number was called at window 4. The VO was an indian guy. He was super nice and friendly.
So this is how it went.
VO: hi
Me: hi there, how u doing??
VO: not too bad.
VO: so what is your title and what does it mean?
Me: explained
VO: so are your clients mostly XYZ (he seem to know a little bit about my field)
Me: yes and i mentioned a couple other.
VO: where did you get your degree?
Me: at the university of XYZ
VO: can i see you trancripts
Me: gave them and he just glanced through them in a matter of a second.
VO: do you have your EAD card from your OPT.
Me: yes (and looking for it from the stacks of papers i had)
VO: can i see it?
Me: handed it.
VO: ok good, well come and pick up your passoport and at 3pm today and you're all good to go!
Me: OK
VO: its weird you spell your last name with a E cuz i've always seen in spelled with an A.
Me: well, its because from gujarat they spell it with an E and from UP they spell it with an A.
VO: ohhhh, wow, i never knew that..... good to know!
Me: well, thank you and have a good day.
VO: you do the same.

(the interview took less than 2 minutes, litterly)

I was so excited and left with a biggest smile on my face... BUT in the mean time i forgot to pay my reciprocity fee. Well, i didnt forget to pay BUT i wasnt told to pay it. So once i got out the consulate i started freaking out and went back to see if they would let me in so i can go pay the fee.
The security didnt let me in but told me that I probably didnt have to pay it if they didnt ask for it.
SO apparently, they have CANCELLED the reciprocity fee for Indian Citizens (dont know about other countries) from a couple days ago. SO GUYS THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT WE DONT HAVE TO PAY THE $50 ANYMORE. No Indian Citizen on the day of my appointment paid the fee. YES, no one!!!
AND, i got my passport the SAME DAY AT 3PM because its a long weekend in canada.
At first i was so worried they would give it to me on tuesday the 14th but I with everyone else got it the same day. WOOOHOOO.....
I drove back to US the same day and no problems at the POE. They gave me my new I-94 and i was in the country with NO problems.

I really want to thank this forum for all the help and information.
Please let me know if you have any questions. I would be happy to answer them.
Nikki

Congratulations. Hopefully I can get mine stamped on the same day, too. Got an appointment on the 17th and the 28th of November in Nogales, Mexico. Don't want to stay there overnight. :rolleyes:

question on visa stamping in Mexico

We are planning to go for visa stamping in Nogales, Mexico. Myself and my wife are on H-1B visa. She converted from H4 to H1.This is her first H1-B visa stamping.

We have following questions. I will appreciate if some one can respond based on their prior experience.

1. Can both of us can attend for VISA stamping at the same time using single appointment being on H1B visas?
2. How to get Mexico visitor visa? How much time will it take approximately?
3. I don't have US degree. Does that matter?

Texancanadian,
I stayed at Howard Johnson - about 8 blocks from the consulate. It was $70. But there is Days Inn a block from the consulate.
Good luck!

texancanadian said:
Can you reccomend a hotel close to the consulate ?