Successful CP on 21st march

ceebee

Registered Users (C)
Friends,
Completed successful CP at Mumbai on 21st March 2003.Here are the details.

Entered consulate at about 8:45am, waited in the queue as they were veryfying the invitation letter and passports. Security was as tight as Fort Knox. No CD's, Floppies, lighters, cameras etc allowed. Paid $335*2 at counter #1, as ours was a AC-140. We were asked to wait in front of counter #10. There were majority of Family Based cases, as mentioned in the forum we were called at about 11:35am, a wait of about 2 hours. We were called at counter #12. The guy behind the counter was a trainee. Asked for original DS-230 Part I, we explained to him that it was included as part of Packet 3 and a photo copy should be sufficient. He then consulted some other guy and he explained to him that a photo copy should be okay.
Following are the documents asked-
1. DS 230 Part I & II
2. Birth Certificate
3. Marriage Certificate
4. PCC
5. Medical Reports.
6. Employment Verification Letter plus photo copy which will be attached to your dependents file.
7. Passports
8. 3 Photographs, you will be asked to sign across the pictures, the signatures should not be over the face.

Same documents for spouse with the addition of I-134.

It is helpful if these documents are taken as two seperate bunch so that you dont have to search through the folders that you carry.Space at the counter is limited. Submitting the documents took about 20 minutes.

We were asked to wait for our names to be called out. We were expecting that we would have to wait till about 1-1:30 pm as mentioned by others in the forum. Had a sandwich.
By the time we returned to our seats we were called at about 12:15 pm at counter #9.

There was a desi lady and a American lady, American lady asked us whether we can speak English, replied Yes Maam, we were asked to Raise our Right Hand and take oath.

After that, we were asked to sign DS-230 Part II, she asked the name of the company and my qualifications, when they ask for qualifications, i guess they want to know what kind of work do you do for the company, i.e job responsibilities.
She mentioned that she will be cancelling our existing visas as she was issuing new visas.
She wished us Good Luck and asked us to collect our Visas at 3:30pm.

Had lunch at "The SUN" restaurant opposite to the consulate, reached consulate at about 2:45, there was already a queue, For Immigrant visas the queue is on the side of the wall. We were called at about 3:40 pm, collected the visas, checked for spelling mistakes, none found......Happy ending finally.

Our sincere thanks to Rajiv Khanna and Members of this forum for giving us a medium to contribute and communicate amongst all GC aspirants.

Please feel free to shoot any questions.

To end this note, We would like to request people who complete successful CP to keep visiting the forum and share their experiences and help others following the same path.

Thanks.:p

Congrats..

Ceebee,

Congrats for your successful interview. And thanks for sharing your experience immediately.

Enjoy your stay in India before jumping into the same monotonus life in US.

Q1: What is the safe period to get the medicals done before the interview?

Thanks & Good Luck.

Congratulations.....

ceebee,

Congratulations on your success.

I particularly appreciate your sence of belonging for having taken
time immediately after the interview to visit the forum and post
your details.

Have a good time in home land and a safe trip to US.

Raju

Congrats

Congrats Ceebee,

thanks for the interview details,

were the 3 photographs, according the new requirements (2"X2")?

$335, was it in US$ or IndianRs?

enjoy your stay in india (b4 it gets too hot)
-KYCP

CEEBEE,

Good Description, Loved it. Do they seperate out AC140's from Regular CP's. Is it something to be frightened about AC140.

Is there any precautions one has to take for AC140 CP's.

What is the oath and how long does it goes on.

AGW

Congratulations Ceebee......

Enjoy....

Can you brief as to how long did it take to get here after your 140 approval.

Thanks,

Congrats Ceebee

Congrats Ceebee,

Have Fun and have a good time in India. Can u give us some detail on your Medicals. How was everything at the Consulate was it real tensed due to War ?

Please do post your experience at POE, Appreciate it.
Thanks,
VinCP.

Friends,
Vincp- I have posted the medical experience sometime back, can you please refer to that thread.Medicals were done on the 13th and there is no no known safe period, maybe someone on this board can throw some light on this, my personal guess is about 1 months should be safe period
I-140 got approved in Nov'06, sent packet 3 in 2nd week of december, so about 3 months to get the GC
The only difference in AC-140 is the filing of I-824 and paying fees in the consulate. Fees were paid in Indian Rs. (49*335 = 16415 Rs).
Photograph requirements remain the same. The requirements have changed for DS156 (Non-Immigrant applications).

There is nothing to worry as far as AC-140 or CP is concerned, as long as all the required documents are provided its a safe process.
All the best to everyone for their coming Interviews. You have waited so long, hang in there.....its just so close.
Thanks.

Thanks Ceebee

Thanks Ceebee

I will check on your medical details on this forum. Appreciate your reply. I am hoping for May Interview and worried due to the war circumstances. Hope Consulates in India will have no problems.

Thanks again,
VinCP.

Am anxious to hear anybody's experiences who had been to the Mumbai consulate after the war.

thanks,
AGW

Any US consulate

Even if you are not from Mumbai and have had an CP interview experience (after the Iraq-US war start, i.e after March 18, 2003) at any other US consulate in India or out of India, please share your experience.

Thanks.

Friends,
The atmosphere at the Mumbai consulate was normal according to me. The only change that was visible was the heightened security.
Take it easy guys, Mumbai should be fine.

Thanks.;)

Originally posted by ceebee
Friends,
........ Fees were paid in Indian Rs. (49*335 = 16415 Rs).
Photograph requirements remain the same. The requirements have changed for DS156 (Non-Immigrant applications).

..................All the best to everyone for their coming Interviews. You have waited so long, hang in there.....its just so close.
Thanks.

Thanks ceebee, fo the info on fees and photos
-KYCP

POE Entry Details

Friends,
Mumbai Immigrations are a pain in the B***. The immigration officer turned all the pages of the passport...Couldnt locate the H1-B visa, so finally fustrated asked where is the visa!!. Showed him the sealed visa papers provided by the consulate. Looked at it and asked me to go to another officer. There was already a elderly couple waiting before us...the officer took ages before he called us. Looked the immigrant visa on the sealed envelope and asked us for PCC. We told him that it was not required and that we had already given the PCC at the consulate...Upon which he replied that "You know more than me??". I felt like showing him my middle finger. ** Sigh**. He then looked at the pages in the passport and then asked me (Showing a slightly torn page) "Yeah Kya hai" (What is this??"). I explained to him the airlines while removing the I-94 had torn the page( I wonder whether he even knew what an I-94 was!!). He kept on insisting that PCC was required and also showed me a sample copy of the PCC. Upon arguing I explained to him that i just came here for the interview and i have been residing in USA for the last 5 years...His reply was "Pahle kyon nahi bola" (Why didnt you tell me...I assume that the persons sitting in their positions are smart enough to take a look at the passport for entry and departure dates!!!).
The bottom line is that they dont know anything and just want to make life miserable for you.

Upon landing at SFO stood in the queue for new immigrants. There was an elderly person in front and we were called within 3 minutes. The Immigration office took a look at the sealed envelopes and asked us to step on the side for Finger Printing..took prints of the index finger and asked some routine questions like the name of the company, DOB, number of years working with the company and nature of experience and where i completed my graduation.
Stamped the passport with the arrival date and I-551 stamp for myself and spouse, said "Welcome to America" and explained to us that the plastic card will take approx 6 months, till then we can make use of the I-551 stamp for all travelling purpose.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Once again thanks to all the members of this forum for providing very valuable information and help.

Thanks.

;)

Congrats Ceebee

Congratulations on an successful CP Trip.
Welcome Home my Friend!

Sorry to hear you had some rough time with Immigration Officer in India, looks like lot of people have been complaining lately.
did he ask you about Income Tax and Stuff as lot of people have complained on that.
Dont Worry Bud, its a thing of past now. Congrats again!
Welcome Back!

Cheers!
VinCP.

Friends,
Received Social Security cards for myself and my wife.
Waiting for the Plastic cards, Havent yet got the Welcome Letter...
My understanding is that it takes about 2 months for the plastic card..My POE is SFO..anyone in the same boat?.

Thanks.

Originally posted by ceebee
Friends,
Received Social Security cards for myself and my wife.
Waiting for the Plastic cards, Havent yet got the Welcome Letter...
My understanding is that it takes about 2 months for the plastic card..My POE is SFO..anyone in the same boat?.

Thanks.

Hi ceebee,

Congrats!!
I just got a doubt after reading your post. What is the social security card?? Is it different from what we get when we come initially on H1??
I remember that there is a column in DS 230 II. Do we need to fill it as "yes" for this column for both husband and wife??

Thanks for clarifying me.
Sam.

I am sure ceebee would give his input but this is what I know about this.

As an H1B holder the SS number allows you to work in US
and the card has a notation saying that permitted to work
with Visa. ( I forgot the actual sentence ).

When you get your GC this notation is taken out. You no longer
need a work visa to work in US.

Your spouse, if she was a H4 holder, would not have had a
SS number issued to her. With the new GC status she would
also get the SS number(card).

Raju

SSN Card

Originally posted by Raju595
I am sure ceebee would give his input but this is what I know about this.

As an H1B holder the SS number allows you to work in US
and the card has a notation saying that permitted to work
with Visa. ( I forgot the actual sentence ).

When you get your GC this notation is taken out. You no longer
need a work visa to work in US.

Your spouse, if she was a H4 holder, would not have had a
SS number issued to her. With the new GC status she would
also get the SS number(card).

Raju

Raju,
Thanks for the information. You are right.

So, we both(husband & wife) should select the column which say " Do you want a Social Security Card Issued to you?" as "YES" .

Thanks again. I prepared a rough copy for DS 230 II and there I selected it as "No" for me. Now I realized. I will change it.

Regds,
Sam.