Successful CP at Chennai on Jul 25

GCChennaiGuy

Registered Users (C)
Guys,
We successfully completed our CP interview at Chennai consulate on Jul 25. It just took 2 hours to complete the process there and we are out. Got the IV packets the next day and got back to US on Aug 11 through LA and it took just 10 min at LA airport to get the GC stamping on our passports. Thanks to this great forum and some great gurus like srifx etc who helped along the way. I really appreciate this forum's wonderful help.

Few things to remember at the consulate before/after interview:

0. If you haven't received the P4 from the consulate, don't worry or panic. Take a print out of your appointment from their web site and that is good enough.

1. Please make sure you are carrying the draft for the right amount and also carry money (hard cash) with you, in case you have to take some other amount draft. I had to lend money to somebody there for him to get a new draft. You will be given some time to get a new draft, in case if it is wrong.

2. The order in which you are going to present the docs to immigration officer may be different than it is mentioned in your P4. (I didn't get one). you will be given a order list there and you have to arrange according to that.

3. Please make sure you get all your originals from the consulate before you leave.

4. Out of towners, please stay a extra day to collect your IV packets the next day (give local home/hotel address) and make sure everything is correct. If not, you may have to go to the consulate again to get it corrected. (name spelling, passport number, DOB errors etc).

5. After you finish your CP interview, make a copy of the fee receipt ($65 or $335) and you have to hand over this to the blue dartguy when he delivers your packet.

Wish you all a very smooth CP inteview. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to post it in this thread. I will respond to it.
Good luck.

congrats!!

just a few questions:

* if you are not from chennai, which hotel did you stay in?

* did you complete medicals in one day or two? which doc?

* did you take the drafts in chennai or outside chennai?

* just the printout of the page was enough? no letter from NVC stating case number?

* did they ask for 140 approval 9lawyer's original) anytime?

* anything about 9003, sailing permit etc?

* at about what time the next day did the packets arrive from Bluedart?

Thanks! have a great post GC time!

One more question

U said u have to make a copy of the receipt.
Do u do this at the consulate before u give
it(the receipt) to the consular officer ??

Navin

Please post ur experience at POE LAX AIRPORT.
questions asked. how long is stamp valid for...
how long will it take to get GC.
thanks in advance.

lax POE experience

I came in through lax on 18th August by united in terminal6. The process for Tom Bradley will be similar. I asked the officer who was directing the people which line I need to stand in. She told me that the last counter is designated for that purpose. I can however go and sit on the couch at the far end of the hall. I sat on the couch near the table marked "new immigrant processing". I waited till the whole plane load was cleared. Then one of the officers from one of the counters came up. did a paper fingerprinting took my packet to his counter and 5 minutes later handed my passport back with the I-551 stamp and gave me the traditional "welcome to the USA" greeting and asked me to go ahead and collect my customs. Simple process, but they make you wait. I was told to expect card in 6 months, but the current average for LAX POE is around a month and a half. Make sure you make a copy of your packet. This contains your A number. My A number written on my passport by the officer is not very legible. You may need this A number for filing for new SS card etc.
good luck.

Re: lax POE experience

Originally posted by mplbob
I came in through lax on 18th August by united in terminal6. The process for Tom Bradley will be similar. I asked the officer who was directing the people which line I need to stand in. She told me that the last counter is designated for that purpose. I can however go and sit on the couch at the far end of the hall. I sat on the couch near the table marked "new immigrant processing". I waited till the whole plane load was cleared. Then one of the officers from one of the counters came up. did a paper fingerprinting took my packet to his counter and 5 minutes later handed my passport back with the I-551 stamp and gave me the traditional "welcome to the USA" greeting and asked me to go ahead and collect my customs. Simple process, but they make you wait. I was told to expect card in 6 months, but the current average for LAX POE is around a month and a half. Make sure you make a copy of your packet. This contains your A number. My A number written on my passport by the officer is not very legible. You may need this A number for filing for new SS card etc.
good luck.

Thanks for sharing your experience mplbob. Happy GC life..

Re: congrats!!

Originally posted by manish_r0
just a few questions:

* if you are not from chennai, which hotel did you stay in?

* did you complete medicals in one day or two? which doc?

* did you take the drafts in chennai or outside chennai?

* just the printout of the page was enough? no letter from NVC stating case number?

* did they ask for 140 approval 9lawyer's original) anytime?

* anything about 9003, sailing permit etc?

* at about what time the next day did the packets arrive from Bluedart?

Thanks! have a great post GC time!

Hi Manish,
Sorry for the delay in responding to your questions. I was out of US for few days. The answers to your questions in that order:

* I am from Chennai, you may have to check srifx list to find answer.

* i did my medicals in 2 days (first day for the lab and the second day for the doc appt). But you can schedule it on the same day. Make a late appt with the doc since you will be getting your lab reports by 4 PM. I went to Dr.Vijayalakshmi.

* I took the drafts from Chennai itself, but call consulate before you get one to find the exact amount.

* search for your case number in their web site, that should bring only your case with the interview date, print that page. Keep more than one copy since you may need them at the lab, doc office and at the consulate.

*No.

* I carried the sailing permit with me and no one asked for it. Sometimes they may ask when you leave US. It is not required for the CP interview as such.

* Bluedart delivered at 10:30 AM the next day, but before that they called me and asked me to keep a copy of receipt ($65 payment receipt).

Good luck.

Re: One more question

Originally posted by kvnavin
U said u have to make a copy of the receipt.
Do u do this at the consulate before u give
it(the receipt) to the consular officer ??

Navin

Hi Navin,
Sorry for the delay in responding to your question. The receipt I was talking about, is the receipt you get when you submit your $65 draft at the counter. You will be asked to go home once you submit the draft at the counter. That means 'all well'. On your way back take a copy of the receipt and keep it handy for the bluedart guy the next day.
Good luck.

Originally posted by gkaur
Please post ur experience at POE LAX AIRPORT.
questions asked. how long is stamp valid for...
how long will it take to get GC.
thanks in advance.

Hi Gaur,
POE at LA was very smooth.

* After you reach LA airport, at the immigration counters (you see many), go to the counter for 'Immigrant Visas'. This is the last counter (I think No 19). Do not go to any other counter and there is somebody standing in case if you want to ask.

* Stood on the line and there were only 4 of us waiting and I presented my packets received from consulate, passport and the customs form (fill this on the flight itself and they will give it to you) to the office. He took my finger print and signature in a form. (same for family members too except minors).

* He asked me to go and collect our luggage and come back and that too 15 minutes and we came back and sat on the waiting areas chair.

* After 5 min, a lady called my name and she showed the actual GC stamping on the passport and I will receive the plastic card in 4-6 months. (In fact guys are getting in 3-4 weeks). With the passport we left and went to customs queue.

* That's all you are a GC holder and now the wait is for the plastic card.

Good luck.

thanks GCChennaiGuy!

thanks for the answers. one more question :

do you know if chennai requires the passport has to be amended to show the spouse name ( for the husband) ? I saw something to that effect for the wife ( for maiden name thing) on immihelp.com, and wanted to know if anyone knows more about it.

thanks!!

Hello Manish!!!

Have you got any answers to your posting? If so, please help me?????

"do you know if chennai requires the passport has to be amended to show the spouse name ( for the husband) ? I saw something to that effect for the wife ( for maiden name thing) on immihelp.com, and wanted to know if anyone knows more about it."

Thanks,
gogo_gc
:confused:

Re: thanks GCChennaiGuy!

Originally posted by manish_r0
thanks for the answers. one more question :

do you know if chennai requires the passport has to be amended to show the spouse name ( for the husband) ? I saw something to that effect for the wife ( for maiden name thing) on immihelp.com, and wanted to know if anyone knows more about it.

thanks!!

Hi,
I didn't have this issue because my wife got her passport only after our marriage. So we gave the changed name for the passport. But in her birth certificate she didn't have any name on it (written only as female child). So we took a affidavit from her parents with her maiden name and notarized by a notary. But at the consulate they didn't bother to look at it. They gave all those back immediately.
Good luck

Re: gogo_gc

Hello,

Did you go to CP inteview yet? If so, did you change your spouse last name? Iam having interview on OCT 23rd, and do you think it is good idea to have it done? Because I will be booking the tickets and there is lot of confusion with last name. I do really appreciate, if u can reply back on this issue bit elobarately.

Thank You in advance.
gogo_gc
:confused:

Urgent!!!

Hello Manish,

Did you go to CP inteview yet? If so, did you change your spouse last name? Iam having interview on OCT 23rd, and do you think it is good idea to have it done? Because I will be booking the tickets and there is lot of confusion with last name. I do really appreciate, if u can reply back on this issue bit elobarately.

Thank You in advance.
gogo_gc

Originally posted by GCChennaiGuy
Guys,
We successfully completed our CP interview at Chennai consulate on Jul 25. It just took 2 hours to complete the process there and we are out. Got the IV packets the next day and got back to US on Aug 11 through LA and it took just 10 min at LA airport to get the GC stamping on our passports. Thanks to this great forum and some great gurus like srifx etc who helped along the way. I really appreciate this forum's wonderful help.

Few things to remember at the consulate before/after interview:

0. If you haven't received the P4 from the consulate, don't worry or panic. Take a print out of your appointment from their web site and that is good enough.

1. Please make sure you are carrying the draft for the right amount and also carry money (hard cash) with you, in case you have to take some other amount draft. I had to lend money to somebody there for him to get a new draft. You will be given some time to get a new draft, in case if it is wrong.

2. The order in which you are going to present the docs to immigration officer may be different than it is mentioned in your P4. (I didn't get one). you will be given a order list there and you have to arrange according to that.

3. Please make sure you get all your originals from the consulate before you leave.

4. Out of towners, please stay a extra day to collect your IV packets the next day (give local home/hotel address) and make sure everything is correct. If not, you may have to go to the consulate again to get it corrected. (name spelling, passport number, DOB errors etc).

5. After you finish your CP interview, make a copy of the fee receipt ($65 or $335) and you have to hand over this to the blue dartguy when he delivers your packet.

Wish you all a very smooth CP inteview. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to post it in this thread. I will respond to it.
Good luck.

Hi,
I have already paid $335 to NVC alongwith Packet 3. I don't have any cash receipt expect the xerox copy of money order which i have sent to NVC.

Please advise what should i show to Bluedart Guy at the time of receipt of documents.

Thank you
Pramod.

Re: Urgent!!!

Originally posted by gogo_gc
Hello Manish,

Thank You in advance.
gogo_gc

might be a bit late, this reply.

I went to the interview, we had not changed the name. my wife name. no problems.