• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Successful AOS (from F1)

winner2006

Registered Users (C)
Adjustment of Status- 2006 experience

Hello,

Recently (june '06) my case got approved and I received the GC. It was quite a long AOS proccess.

I decided to add this Q&A as a way to help others that will do AOS.
This Q&A is for AOS process only. I am not an expert, so do not rely on my information only. Do your homework. This forum is a great source of information, but if you need the help of a professional don't hesitate to do so. A minor mistake can disqualify your case.

Question: AOS (adjustment of status) or CP (consular processing) ?

Answer: I would have done CP if allowed. But I had to be in school (F-1 status) so I couldn't go to my home country and do CP. I opted for the AOS. It takes a little longer. The case # is the main indicator of how long it will take. Generally the lower the number the faster you proceed. But the processing times of your regional office will aslo effect your application. Mine took 5 months to process the whole thing.

Q: Do you need to hire a Lawyer?

A: I did. It is not neccessary, since all you have to do is to properly fill the papers and mail it to the appropriate office. However, when it comes to follow-up the lawyers are ususually better, and the officers will be more willing to explain to lawyers, rather than us, which sometimes have language barriers.

Q: Do you need to send form DSP-122 to Kentucky Center?

A: AOS applicants do not have to. I didn't. You can if you want but it will not effect your process in any way. I called twice to make sure, and I was told by USCIS officers that once you send the payment to the US Dept of State, they will know about the applicants intentions to do AOS.

Q: What do you send with your application?

A: Follow the instructions given in the NL. I am not aware of any changes for this year. The list of documents is in various threads in this forum.

Here is the list of the documents I sent:

a. Completed from I-485
b. Completed form G-325A
d. Medical exam in the sealed envelope.
c. Notification letter from KCC
e. Copies of I-94, F1 visa, I-20
f. A single offical check for $395 , [$325 I-485 fee + $70 (biometrix)]
g. Two passport size pictures
h. Copy of the birth certificate and a noterized translated copy.
i. Copy of first page of passport and visa page.

You can send the receipt of payment to the Dept Of State with the application. I waited till they accepted my application, then sent the payment, and saved the receipt for the interview.

You can also fill an affidavit of support and include it in the apllication, or wait and gather the information for the interview date.

Q: When should I send my application?

A: Check when your number becomes available. Some say you can send it 2-3 months before your number becomes available. I waited to the date. An early application is basis for disqualification of your application. The official fiscal year for DV 2007 starts in October and it lasts till Sept 2007.
To check if your number becomes available visit:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html

This is all I can think of for now. I hope I've been of help.

If you will learn anything about this process, is to be PATIENT.

GOOD LUCK to all and have an easy process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations !
I added a link in my big DV winner post to your post as it is informative for AOS guys ! Tell me if that bothers you.

Thanks Catseyes and Hmz.

And Catseyes, No, the link doesn't bother me at all. I actually am happy that it can be used.

Take care.

hi, winner2006!

congrats!

i ve few questions for you:

1. What is DHS "A" No. in DS-230? Is it same as my SSN?
2. My I-94 card states my class F1 until DS. I am on F1 - thats right, but what is DS?
3. In G-325A, what is that Alien Registration Number (is it same as that DHS A No. mentioned above)?
4. What is Non Immigrant Visa number? Is it same as Control Number? Or is it the number that is printed in RED in my NIV?

More questions to follow :))

Thanks

thanks, and congrats to you.

1. Alien number, which you shouln't have if you have been on F-1 only.

2. DS on the I-94 means Duration of Status. That is when your I-94 expires. When your status as a student ends.

3. The same as number 1. You dont have one yet. You will get it soon once your case gets approved.

4. The visa number is on the visa stamp on your passport. Check it, its easy to locate it.

Good luck.

winner2006,

thanks for the info. that was very nice of u. i guess i will ve a lot of questions, which i am going to ask as i face them :). pls keep checking this gr8 forum.

Hi Winner2006 I have a question

I have read different on different forums.

We are supposed to send a payment to Secretary State for $395, right?

Do we need to add the receipt of this payment to the package we will send to Chicago?

Thanks

analystGC said:
Hi Winner2006 I have a question

I have read different on different forums.

We are supposed to send a payment to Secretary State for $395, right?

Do we need to add the receipt of this payment to the package we will send to Chicago?

Thanks

Hi analystGC,
You pay $375 to the department of state not the secretary of state, and attatch a copy of the reciept to your application form to the USCIS. And don't forget the $395 that should be paid to the USCIS.

Hi analystGC,

You don't have to send the confirmation of the $395 payment with the first package that you mail to the Chicago lockbox. I paid afterwards. I waitied to get my application accepted first, then paid and saved the confirmation for the interview date.
And yes you send the payment to the Dept of State and not to the secretary of state.
Good Luck

I am also in waiting period.

Forms (DSP-122, etc.) sent to KCC : August, 2006
Waiting for 2nd Letter
Now thinking about changing to AOS.

visa number

Hey jyadul,

My DV-2007 visa number is also AS6***, close to yours; When do you think it will be current?

winner2006 said:
Hi analystGC,

You don't have to send the confirmation of the $395 payment with the first package that you mail to the Chicago lockbox. I paid afterwards. I waitied to get my application accepted first, then paid and saved the confirmation for the interview date.
And yes you send the payment to the Dept of State and not to the secretary of state.
Good Luck
Thank you Winner2006

1. What do you mean by "waiting to get your application accepted first", you mean to receive Notification Letter from Local CIS office?
2. Also when we send this payment to dept of state, we send it along with a form we received in first package I was told. Which form is this?
3. And Can I send a personla check to them, rather than money order?

Spiicy thank you for your reply as well.

ANALSYT

analystGC said:
Thank you Winner2006

1. What do you mean by "waiting to get your application accepted first", you mean to receive Notification Letter from Local CIS office?
2. Also when we send this payment to dept of state, we send it along with a form we received in first package I was told. Which form is this?
3. And Can I send a personla check to them, rather than money order?

Spiicy thank you for your reply as well.

ANALSYT

HI AnalystGC

1. Once you send the application to the lockbox in Chicago, you will have to wait for the Notification letter which is basically the proof they have accepted your application and the process has started. That is what i ment. After you get that, send the payment. If you want, you can make the payment first, get the confirmation and send it along with your application to the chicago lockbox. I paid afterwards.

2. In the first envelope you received with the winning notification, there is a slip, that you have to fill out, and send along with the $395 payment to the Dept of state. That slip will be mailed back to you with a stamp that says "confirmed payment", or just "confirmed". As i said earlier you can do this before or after you mail your application.

3. NO PERSONAL CHECK. It has to be guaranteed funds. go to your bank and ask for an OFFICIAL Check. They will tell you which one is better. I used an official check. no personal checks.

Good look. And remember, I filed last year and I haven't followed up on any changes for this year.

jyadul said:
hey, winner2006!

what did you do for Evidence of Support?

Jyadul,

I didn't have one. I am told you do need one for the interview. It can be either money you have in the bank, somebody's support, job-offer, or job confirmation. I didn't have one, so I am not really sure, but there is a lot (and I mean a lot) information in this forum about the Affidavit of Support. Check it out.

Good Luck