Succesful Oath experience in LA (9/26)

1485waiter

Registered Users (C)
Sorry to open a new thread, but I hope you will understand once u read.

I became an US Citizen y'day @ LA Sports Arena. The ceremony as such went without hiccups. Had to show the 445 before enetering the arena, then check-in in any one of the 70 tables, surrendered my GC and 445(did not show my DL), office wrote OK and a table # to pickup certificate on return. Once inside the area, the court came into session around 4p (supposed to be @ 3:30p). Judge apologised for arriving late, but organisers started letting in people only around 3:30p. It took a while for 5000+ people to get in.

Jusge swore us in with Oath of allegiance, gave a speech. USCIS official did our Pledge of allegiance. We were waving flags and shouting frequently. Then a video was shown. USPS official made an announcement for Passport, then swore-in the applicants who were to apply for Passport right-after. Then we were let out, after the visitors were let out.

I was content about this experience, the one that matters most. Everything else that happened y'day made it one of the worst days in US for me. I left 12:30 (in San Fernando Valley, 30 miles from the arena) the traffic in downtown LA came to a crawl. It took almost an hour between the MLK exit (for arena) and Exposition Blvd on 110S and still couldnt get out. So, I had to walk (yes, walked on freeway-shoulder) the last mile alongwith atleast around 50 others who were stuck in the Freeway. A few just parked the car on the freeway shoulder, disregarding the consequence. (so what would've happened, if they got a ticket officially before swearing-in, but were unaware???)

I entered the compound around 3:15p, around 3500+ people were standing in line outside arena waiting to be let in and steadily pouring in. Luckily it wasnt hot yday, but my last-mile irritated me only more, but atleast I was happy, I was there. Around 3:25p line started moving. Directions weren't clear for visitors. Once inside, everything went smoothly.

Getting out to gather the certificate was another big mess. It reminded me of the Cinema Halls in India (atleast the way I remeber from 15 yrs ago), where people were herded, literally, like cattles. I perhaps am not describing the disappointment and emotional trauma very well and in detail, but it was. And that robbed most of the anticipated excitement. I am leaving few other personal-minor miseries like, I forogt my brand-new sportcoat in the car, and my wife had to drive the car, who never drove in a freeway, let alone in bumper-to-bumper traffic, which was bothering me all the time, until she was safe. She couldnt meet me before I entered the arena.

On the surface its not USCIS fault, but I am going to send in a recommendation to split the ceremony in other locations (like SFV). Its not convenient for people who dont have good commuting infrastrucutre from their home to downtown and thats a good enough number, here in LA. Like the FP facility, they have to split the 18,000 new citizens and the visitors into more than one facility for swearing-in or interview. What happened to a bunch of us yday is no way for USA to welcome new citizens. LA cant collect tax from 1.5million SFV residents and treat us this way. After yday, I am a firm believer, for SFV to break-away from LA.

Anyway, my piece of advise, if you happen to go to LA Sports Arena for Oath, please dont underestimate traffic.

And, this forum is magnificent for immigrants. Honestly, there were only a few tips I actually used in my case, since mine was quite straight-forward, but the information I gathered here gave me tremendous confidence and I have passed the knowledge on to my friends occasionally. I am sure, it would help plenty of people to avoid making silly mistakes and also help many in critical scenarios. Also, the forums empowered me to know what to expect and that many a times helped me to handle the process in a relatively calm-manner.

With the forum handling Passport, OCI and GC-4-relatives discussions, I dont think, I will be away from here for a while, though. Thank you so much, everyone. What makes it classy is, none of you really expect anything in return!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same oath at LA Sports Arena but at 12:00PM instead, traffic was a nightmare. It took me 1 hour and 30 minutes just from 110 exit MLK Blvd to get to the parking. I left home early at 9:30 AM from Orange County Area otherwise it would have been late.
People walked on the shoulder left and right for fear of getting late. I got into the buiding around 1:pM eventually.
So for others to have oath scheduled at LA Sports Arena, beware of the traffic.

PD- 04/08/2008
INT- 8/22/2008 Santa Ana
Oath - 9/26/2008 [LA Spors Arena] US Citizen

I485waiter, sorry to hear about your experience. I had my oath at 12pm and had to deal with the same stuff.

I-110S and the streets around the Sports Arena (MLK, Exposition, Figueroa) were incredibly congested. Fortunately, I live in West LA and am familiar with the Sports Arena area. So I never got onto I-110S and just took local roads from I-10E. Once I got to the Sports Arena, the east side of the Sports Arena was incredibly packed so I approached from the west instead on Vermont Ave (and entered the parking lot from the south side of the arena). It only took about 15 mins to get in from this route. I felt bad for everyone who was stuck on the east side (next to the freeway).

For those who have their ceremony at the Sports Arena in the future, consider these tips: (Google Map)
  • Don't get on I-110S. Go local instead.
  • Approach from Vermont Ave (west-side of Sports Arena)
  • Enter the Sporta Arena on Hoover Street. Even if the police have left-turn on Hoover blocked from MLK Blvd, just go past Hoover and make a U-turn.
  • Parking costs $15 at the Sports Arena. There're plenty of parking lots around that are also $15 or lower. So if you want to avoid the entire mess, park in one of the garages on the south side of MLK Blvd and walk a short distance instead.
I parked and got out of my car around 11:40pm. There was a mass of people waiting outside with a line wrapping around many times and it was very difficult to find the end of the line. I think it would be very useful if they had officers or volunteers outside managing the line a little better (or just telling people where to enter).

In any case, I was inside, checked-in, and sitting by 12:05pm. The ceremony did NOT start until 1:10pm or so! So bring enough reading material and be prepared to wait. If you have to go to the restroom, ask an officer how soon the ceremony would start. Do not hold it in because you never know how much longer it'll be... I'm glad I asked ;)

The exit was better organized though once people started queueing at the tables for their certificates, it became congested again pretty fast. I did want to go and slap some of the people in the visitors section because they just would not listen to simple directions ("Do not block the aisles" - people would still stand there, "Leave now" - people would just stay seated and stare back at the stage).

After exiting the ceremony area, I found my assigned table and the officer just handed me the certificate and told me to sign it when I got home. I signed it with my normal (abbreviated) signature and not my full name. No signature on the photos (so that's the way they do it in California, I guess).

I took the Vermont route back to I-10 as I knew I-110 would be crowded (and it seemed that way). Despite my experience, I give kudos to USCIS for getting 5,000 people in and out of the Sports Arena in relative order.

Went straight to the Social Security office and had my record updated (only took 20 minutes or so there). Dropped off my passport application at the post office on Saturday. The person at the post office very harshly stapled my passport application and naturalization certificate, which hurt a little (given how carefully I had been handling the certificate up to that point). :eek:

It turned out to be more exasperating and anticlimactic than exciting, but I'm glad the process is finally over. I485waiter, I'll probably see you in the passport and GC-4 relative discussions. Sorry again for your experience and I'm glad that you and your wife got home safely.

Good luck to everyone else!

Congrats to you too Popak. Right now, I consider the chance to Vote in this election as the greatest benefit :)

Oath ceremony is just once in life. It doesn't make a big difference how hard the last day was. The trip to get there is more painful.

Consider yourself as lucky compare to those stuck in name check for many years.