Succesful H1-B stamping in Calgary, Canada! (with European diploma)

volchonok

Registered Users (C)
Hey.
I just got back to US from Calgary. Got my multiple H1-B stamped. :) It was fast and easy. Only 3-4 questions were asked. Like: What country are you from? How long have you been to the US? Who are you working for?
Though I got a scary letter before going to the interview that said: it's strongly recommended to apply in your home country if your diploma is not from US or Canada... they didn't really care about my diploma there. No questions were asked about it. I know every case is individual, but in general I can say now: I worried too much about what was pretty simple and not scary at all. There were about 80 people with me at the Cunsulate (with different issues, some were american citizens, but many with visa applications). And I didn't notice anybody who was refused visa on that day. May be just few.
Yes. Just for your information. Before going to the embassy, check reciprocity fee that your country may require. You can find it here:
http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/reciprocity/index.htm
For me it was $300 bucks. Fortunately I checked it in advance and had money with me (they collect the fee right on the interview. so if you don't have the right amount -- there can be a delay in your visa issuance).
So guys, good luck to all of you who's going to the Consulate. It will be all right. Of coarse, it won't hurt to prepare for the interview, check again and again if you have all documents that are listed, if your DS 156 is filled out properly, if you know what you're going to tell them about your job and the company you're working for. Just be ready. But don't worry and don't be afraid. They're very friendly there.
If you have any more questions concerning any documents or any details -- feel free to ask: iravolk@yahoo.com
I'll be happy to help you with an advise. You know, a preson who went through all this can give a better advise that any attorney. ;)
Good luck again.
And I'm going to pack my bags. Going home to visit my Mommy!!!!!
:)

Ira