Stupid attorney - what do you say?

luckyandcurious

Registered Users (C)
My friend tells me that, his attroney is suddenly asking "final payment" (few hundred dollars) after his GC is approved. He says it is strange to him.

What is your opinion on this.... is it still worth paying to him. What the attorney can do?

As per my friend:

He did "NOT" write any agreement with Lawyer, his employer hired a lawyer. His employer was supposed to pay, but that stupid employer made my friend (employee) to pay that money.

So, can my friend just ignore the invoice from Lawyer. He got his card already. Any suggestions to my poor friend :rolleyes:

luckyandcurious said:
Your opinions please...

If your friend didn't sign any agreement with his Attorney regarding the fees, then definitely there would be an agreement between his employer and the attorney. If that is the case, then your friend is not obligated to pay the fees.
Let your friend explain this to his attorney.

I don't think there will be any problem from his attorney but may come from his employer.....

luckyandcurious said:
My friend tells me that, his attroney is suddenly asking "final payment" (few hundred dollars) after his GC is approved. He says it is strange to him.

What is your opinion on this.... is it still worth paying to him. What the attorney can do?

Was there an agreement between the person and the lawyer as to who will pay for the attorney fee, (verbal) ?

Personally, almost all people I know of paid for their own GC processing.

Though legally you need not pay the lawyer, but a few hundred dollars is lots less than most people spend on their GC.

Intially employer agreed to pay whole GC expenses, but later employer changed his mind and forced my friend to pay the expenses. That time my friend didn't have any choice. Whole GC expenses were decided by employer, but paid by employee, isn't that crazy. I think most of poor employees fate is like that only.

So, now some amount is due to attorney. But GC was already approved :)