Studying while I485 pending

kewlmarc

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,
I've filed I485 RD 09/30/2002 and ND 10/22/2002 and am currently waiting for EAD approval.
In the meantime I'm applying to B-schools and hopefully if my application is accepted then I've plans to do my MBA(Fulltime) next year.
Most of the schools I'm applying to start their session late July/August ,2003.
Q1) My question to the forum what is the best approach I should follow if my 485 does'nt get approved by August,2003(which considering the current rate of approvals is quite possible)
Q2)If my I485 does'nt get approved by July,2003 then Can I join B-school(Fulltime) without affecting my Green Card status?
Q3) What are the options I have to save my Green Card status and at the same time join school fulltime
I also happen to have a H-1B from the sponsoring company valid till January 2005.
Any inputs will be highly appreciated..I've got wonderful inputs from people in this forum prior to filing I140 and I 485 and expect the same from the forum.
I would also love inputs from people who are in the same boat

Thank you all
and best of luck to each individual at whatever stage of their GC.

:) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
You can pursue full time studies while you are an adjustee. However, some schools might not understand that and you might have to explain/convince them its ok. Big schools are better organized and their international students' office would know about it.

Thanks

Thanks Fredo,
I know of three schools which understand the position of adjustee.I've to do more research about other schools.
Thanks for the info

since it is an employment based petition you have to work with the employer and how can u do both fulltime(job & study), so xplain u'r question more clearly. u need to be on the companys payrll or else ins will deny u'r case

Most city schools (as against schools in college towns) have only evening classes for their MBA program. So you still can do it - the only downside is that you are looking at classes from 5:30 - 9:30 pm, 2-3 days a week. It can be taxing when you have a 40 hr/week job.

Yes, if it is an EB application and if you are a primary applicant, you need to keep that job (or a related job subject to the AC21 rule)