Student OPT A# -- during 485 process ?

max2k1

Registered Users (C)
Hi:

We are just about to get our 485 started ... while getting the forms done, we were told that we should state "NONE" for A# in all forms as it is assigned only after 485 is received ... so far so good ...

It so happens that I had an OPT card ( like EAD ) during my F1 (student ) period ... that card also has an A# !
Should I state that A# in all of the 485/EAD forms ??
Or should I leave it as "NONE" -- maybe the OPT A# and the 485 A# are not at all related ?

Can someone that had F1/OPT card let us know what they did ?

Thanks a lot !

max2k1 said:
Hi:

We are just about to get our 485 started ... while getting the forms done, we were told that we should state "NONE" for A# in all forms as it is assigned only after 485 is received ... so far so good ...

It so happens that I had an OPT card ( like EAD ) during my F1 (student ) period ... that card also has an A# !
Should I state that A# in all of the 485/EAD forms ??
Or should I leave it as "NONE" -- maybe the OPT A# and the 485 A# are not at all related ?

Can someone that had F1/OPT card let us know what they did ?

Thanks a lot !

A# (8 digits) is assinged after your submit application I-485 (adjustment of status or to register permanent residency). You will find it on your I-485 recepit. It is the number you use it on all other applications (EAD, AP and Finger Printing) for reference. The A# number you got on your OPT/EAD derived from F1/J2 status might have 9 digits. It is different from the actual Alien Registration (A#).
You may use NONE in your I-485 application.
Good luck!

gcusa99 said:
A# (8 digits) is assinged after your submit application I-485 (adjustment of status or to register permanent residency). You will find it on your I-485 recepit. It is the number you use it on all other applications (EAD, AP and Finger Printing) for reference. The A# number you got on your OPT/EAD derived from F1/J2 status might have 9 digits. It is different from the actual Alien Registration (A#).
You may use NONE in your I-485 application.
Good luck!

Thanks gcusa99 -- Yes the OPT card A# is 9 digits :)
One other question ... in for 765 (EAD application) Question 11 is this
Code:
11. Have you ever before applied for employment authorization from INS?
Should I say "yes" considering the old OPT card from F1 ?
I've never had any other EAD - just that old OPT.

Thanks again !

You dont need to put that A# from OPT card,

For question, I said yes and wrote the appropriate service center.

max2k1 said:
Thanks gcusa99 -- Yes the OPT card A# is 9 digits :)
One other question ... in for 765 (EAD application) Question 11 is this
Code:
11. Have you ever before applied for employment authorization from INS?
Should I say "yes" considering the old OPT card from F1 ?
I've never had any other EAD - just that old OPT.

Thanks again !
The answer is YES. You need to submit a copy of old OPT when you apply for EAD based on your I-485

jambalakadi said:
I am also in similar situation what should I do? Should I mention OPT in I-485 or not? please reply

We said NONE for the A# field on all applications.

For EAD application, we said yes for a previous EAD and provided copies of the following:
(1) Old OPT EAD card
(2) The old EAD card mailer
(3) Form I-20 ( both sides ).

I think if you do this (in addition to copies of all ur H1/L1 approvals) you should be ok.

jambalakadi said:
I am also in similar situation what should I do? Should I mention OPT in I-485 or not? please reply
jambalakadi,

First of all, allow me to thank you for taking the trouble to actually search for this thread, and localize your question to where it should be. That was good work by you.

But you took away the positive impression you made by asking the same question again.

The answers are out there on this thread, and apply to everyone not just the original poster.

So yes you need to put your OPT card on the 485 as having filed for EAD before.

I140 takes for ever and max2k1

thanks for your input. Actually want to know what max2k1 did after his query and hoping for his reply I am clear after max2k1 answered after my question.

thank you max2k1

max2k1 or anyone URGENT

My attorney is asking for approval notice of my OPT. But I only have the OPT card. I dont have anything else. I got this in 1999 and expired in 2000 luckily I did not thrashed the card. What shoild I give my the attorney. Is just copies od OPT is fine? Please reply.

Copies of the OPT are fine. Usually the approval notice for the OPT comes like one of those credit card forms, with the OPT attached. I have probably thrashed both. :)

jambalakadi said:
My attorney is asking for approval notice of my OPT. But I only have the OPT card. I dont have anything else. I got this in 1999 and expired in 2000 luckily I did not thrashed the card. What shoild I give my the attorney. Is just copies od OPT is fine? Please reply.
We had both the card and the mailer .... so no issues there - sorry