Student Loan

i just got passport stamp may 9 2005, still noT RECEIVE plastic card!!

i have applied for student loan thru fapsa yesterday, today i check the status it says DHS ON HOLD - SECONDARY CONFIRMATION...

ARE THEY CHECKING MY ELIGIBILITY??? ANYBODY IN THE SAME SITUATION?

whrismygc! After approval you went to the local office and got your National Passport stamped? Did they not ask you why you renewed your passport or something like that? Please share with us.

eddie_240 said:
Isn't this the same thing as financial aid. If it is I am already approved for it. This is what my told from my financial aid advisor that I am approved for.

Pell Grant 400/ Per Year
Stafford subsidized 2625/Per Year
Stafford unsubsidized 4000/Per Year

My tution cost is 14,500 per year and with the aid given I will need 7500 extra every year.

So where do I go to get this extra 7500 I can't go to a bank because they need a green card and a cosigner which I don't have.

Any Suggestions.

Try this site here: www.teri.org or www.teri.com and good luck. If you have a good credit score (650 fico up) you can be approved up to 30K per school year.
Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
eddie_240 said:
I do have a A number and I did put it in my application when I filed for FAFSA and this is how I got approved for half of the loan.

With the bank when you file an application you need to give a copy of your green card then only they consider you a permanent resident.

When I called sallie mae,chase and citibank I told them I am looking for a student loan they asked me if I am a permanent resident I said yes.

I asked them what paper work do you need to get the loan they said a copy of the green card,w-2 and employment history.

When I told them I still haven't received my green card they said they can't do anything with out that.

i have a loan with sallie mae and they never asked me for GC.

Copper1??

Anybody Knows About What Is This Dhs On Hold- Secondary Confirmation Status At Fafsa???

Thanks

whrismygc said:
Copper1??

Anybody Knows About What Is This Dhs On Hold- Secondary Confirmation Status At Fafsa???

Thanks

Do not worry about it. It happens frequently. This will resolve itself.

eddie_240 said:
I do have a A number and I did put it in my application when I filed for FAFSA and this is how I got approved for half of the loan.

With the bank when you file an application you need to give a copy of your green card then only they consider you a permanent resident.

When I called sallie mae,chase and citibank I told them I am looking for a student loan they asked me if I am a permanent resident I said yes.

I asked them what paper work do you need to get the loan they said a copy of the green card,w-2 and employment history.

When I told them I still haven't received my green card they said they can't do anything with out that.

HEllo Eddie,

Well probably a lot of people have already advised u about student loans. My personal experience is the following one: I applied for financial Aid ( fafsa) ..and they sent me this kinda green paper after filling my application with my account number and blah blah blah..other information about my income but at the same time there was a note saying that your status have been cleared so U are approved for financial aid..what happened is that at the time of filling the application I wrote down my alien number and eveyrthing, they take care of the rest. IN college you can get two types of help...grants and student loans...grants are free money that the government gives away to students to pay their tuition...but..if you are dependent and if your dad is making a lot a money forget about it. the chances are minimun that you will get that...so the other option is student loan... ..but my advice is to forget about sally Mae..try another institution like a bank....because you have more options and well...you have the 10 year repayment option plus the chance to apply for a consolidation or a delay in payments if you are unemployed..well maybe Sally Mae offers the same options, I don't know... Usually universities ( financial aid department) gives you information about banks and the lender code that they have for each bank..you just complete an application and that's all...they'll answer you back after some time with the amount of money you qualify for.

One more thing...stand for your rights and for what u deserve always dude..if a bank says..sorry, we can not do anything about you because you don't have a green card..or blah blah...put the discrimination topic on the table...they can not discriminate asylees and as soon they know that you know your rights perfectly they are going to pee in their pants, you can even start legal action...but thats the extreme...... people have tried to give me BS before because of my status..but hell no dude!!..

cheers!!

Thanks to everybody for the info. I did manage to get approved for a private loan with the co-signer.

Once again thanks much

That's what I wonder. If FAFSA does not cover the whole tuition, obviously u have to take the alternative loan. But what if you don't have a cosigner? No chances?

Minsk said:
That's what I wonder. If FAFSA does not cover the whole tuition, obviously u have to take the alternative loan. But what if you don't have a cosigner? No chances?

Hello Minsk,

Fafsa supposed to cover all expenses.... I used to take between 12-15 credits per semester and I received in between 1500-2000 of grant, and a loan from a bank of 2500..that's more than enough to cover not only tuition but also expenses like books, gas, transportation,..etc etc..for all semester....I was never asked for a co signer..I don't get that point???. Co signers are asked only to international people who wants a loan. Also sometiems when they want to buy a car they are asked for a co signer as well. Asylees are considered permanent residents so cosigners are not needed. If a bank is asking you so much info or blah blah..try a bank that have student loan programs like Wells Fargo or many others.

Never had a problem

This is my final year in school and I had no trouble getting a student loan from Bank of America. I was treated just like a PR and did not need a co-signer.

Arizona_Poet said:
Hello Minsk,

Fafsa supposed to cover all expenses.... I used to take between 12-15 credits per semester and I received in between 1500-2000 of grant, and a loan from a bank of 2500..that's more than enough to cover not only tuition but also expenses like books, gas, transportation,..etc etc..for all semester....I was never asked for a co signer..I don't get that point???. Co signers are asked only to international people who wants a loan. Also sometiems when they want to buy a car they are asked for a co signer as well. Asylees are considered permanent residents so cosigners are not needed. If a bank is asking you so much info or blah blah..try a bank that have student loan programs like Wells Fargo or many others.

Ok. I'll explain. Currently I study at state university which is quite chip in compare with private schools. My total expenses are about 6,000$ a year. My FAFSA + grants and schlarships cover it all.However, if I want to transfer to Boston University or let's say Bentley,which are private schools, I have to pay 30,000-40,000$ per year and I doubt that FAFSA will cover it; plus I already owe about 10,000 in student loan.Now... I constantly receive ads about student loans programs. The one that I received yesterday says Note, that about 80% of applicants without a cosigner are denied. Others say that the only way to get a loan without a cosigner is to have a good credit score+2 years of employment with good income which I don't have. That is why I asked my question in the first post.

i just got granted another 15,000 for my next 3 quarter of the study.... :rolleyes:

but...loan is loan....have to pay back.... :mad:

kaoticfury said:
i just got granted another 15,000 for my next 3 quarter of the study.... :rolleyes:

but...loan is loan....have to pay back.... :mad:

Did you get it through FAFSA?

How Long Does It Take To Process Fafsa???

Did U Guys Get The Dhs On Hold-secondary Confirmation???

Thanks!! Pls Somebody Answer!!!

whrismygc said:

Well, for the first time it takes some time...the whole process plus the confirmation from FAFSA plus the aceptance of the grants etc..it may take 2 months. But when u are applying for the second time ( another semester)..everything works automatically, they even sent you a paper with all the information already written down, U jsut need to sign the paper and thats all . They don't check your status again or wait for the USCIS reply in the second time....If you are applying for a loan again, and if its with the same bank, the bank already have all your info so they just sent you all the papers inmediately and just one time to be signed.

I hope this answer your questions :)

whrismygc said:

it may take about 2-3 months to prossess