Stuck in Nogales 21st August

I had an unexpired visa in my passport (valid till oct'06) but the VO cancelled it. When I asked her why she cancelled it, she said since it was for my previous company she must cancel it.

I had never heard of such situations where they will cancel the previous visa (unless they are giving the new one). So be prepared for that. One of my colleagues was in similar situation (about a year back), but they did not cancel his previous company's visa. So he could come back on that. So it all depends on the VO.

vraj9 said:
do you think you could have re-entered US if your current H1 visa was still valid?..

so you think a still valid visa from the current employer itself would have helped you come back to the US?..

you mentioned that it was your 7th year extension..did you have to show any proof of your PR process (pending LCA or anything like that)?..

finally do you have any idea as to what was missing in your case..or what was the VO not sure about?..

appreciate your feedback..

vraj9 said:
so you think a still valid visa from the current employer itself would have helped you come back to the US?..
Not sure. I have seen a post on the forum here where someone said they may cancel even the visa from current emp if they feel the need for clearance. So no guarantees either way.
vraj9 said:
you mentioned that it was your 7th year extension..did you have to show any proof of your PR process (pending LCA or anything like that)?..
Nope. Did not ask for any doc related to that. I am sure this clearance has nothing to do with the 7th year extension.
vraj9 said:
finally do you have any idea as to what was missing in your case..or what was the VO not sure about?..
My guess is she thought I was involved in some kind of "high tech/export controll" related work that requires clearance. If you see the TAL/MANTIS related blogs, you will know what I suspect.
vraj9 said:
appreciate your feedback..

a_jadi said:
Finally got my visa clearance and stamp on sept 8th.

Applied (Nogales, MX) : 21st aug
Clearance email from consulate: 7th sept
Visa stamp : 8th sept

My previous visas : F1 and 2 other H1Bs. This was for my 7th yr extension.

My work: software
Company: anyone who has ever used a cell phone or a calculator will know my company name. So it is very well known and thus company size or reputation was not a factor in sending me for clearance. I don't have a muslim name and i am from india.

My personal advice based on my experience: If you can not afford to spend time out of US, do not go for stamping. There is no guideline on what is the likelyhood of you being subjected to clearance. It is pretty random and completely depends on the visa officer interviewing you. I tried several ways to get back to US, like talking to border people and stuff, but no use. You could be lucky but chances are *extremely* slim...

I am not advising against going to MX/Canada for visa. Most people do get the visa easily. But don't go if, for any reason like family or medical or job, you just can not afford to be out of the US for a long time.

Thanks to all the people on the various forums who gave me information about their experience while they were stuck in similar situations.

Best Luck
Hi a_jadi !
Great to hear that you got your visa stamped finally!
Its even hard to think what you might have gone through there! very happy for you!

A bunch of us have an appointment at Nogales soon. In that worst case, It would really help us out to know your experiences there. Would really appreciate any of your tips how to get along there if one gets stuck!

Thanks for you time!!

Security clearance for semi conductor industry employees

A_jadi,

Yours was a security clearance issue since you work for semi conductor industry. The VO do not issues 221g randomly, they issue it if youre name is in the database/arrest issues/visited any of the countries listed/employer verifications. Sometimes it seems idiotic even though you have all the documents but it is for them to ensure they are allowing in a person who would not harm the nation or the person has the necessary experience or talent.

I am still waiting in Matamoros since Aug 9 (OWI issue). In murthy forum there is a thread for security clearances. People who are appearing for visa should check all forums to make sure they are prepared.

Metamoros

depthcharger,
sorry to hear about your case. hope you would get visa soon.

i am also coming to metamoros early next week for h1b stamping. I dont have any tickets etc.

But my only concern is that, this is my first H1b stamping. I came to usa on H4 3 years back and got H1 2 years back. But i never got it stamped in passport.

So will there be any problem in getting first time h1b stamping in metamoros, mexico as i dont have us degree or previous h1b stamping from india ...

Please advise ..

GC1 got it done so you should be able to get through.

From what I have seen and heard Matamoros is supposed to be a much lenient embassy. This is based on comments from other people I met on the day i went for my stamping.

MrHyderabad said:
depthcharger,
sorry to hear about your case. hope you would get visa soon.

i am also coming to metamoros early next week for h1b stamping. I dont have any tickets etc.

But my only concern is that, this is my first H1b stamping. I came to usa on H4 3 years back and got H1 2 years back. But i never got it stamped in passport.

So will there be any problem in getting first time h1b stamping in metamoros, mexico as i dont have us degree or previous h1b stamping from india ...

Please advise ..