Strange situation: 6th year H1B extension

spulukuru

Registered Users (C)
My six years on H1 are going to expire in Feb'03. But I am in a strange situation.

When I filed for my last H1 extension I received an H1 approved beyond my six year period. i.e. until April 2004 where as my 6 years expire in Feb 2003.

When I sent my passport for stamping INS approved my visa till April 2004 which was the duration given in the H1B I797 form. I did mention in my app that I needed visa for only my remaining period of H1 which was less than 9 months but they approved for 21/2 years till April 2004.

My question to the experts is, do I have to file a 7th year H1 extension before Feb 2003 as my six years expire and If I do what about my visa stamp in the passport which is valid until April 2004.

experts Please advise what I should do.

thanks in advance

srinivas

Hi,

Any luck in getting the answers for this for other sources.

I am also sailing in the same boat.

If you wish I wanted to have to conversation with you.

Thanks

I am in the same boat.
I did apply for 7th year extension prior to the completion of 6 years even though my I-94/I-797 is valid for 2 years more(INS mistake). My application is still pending approval

Hello guys,
I am in the same situation. My H1B is valid till Mar 2004 but my 6 year is getting over in May 2003. I don't what to do my lawyer says I can stay till Mar 2004. Did any of you guys found the answer?. Somebody please help me.

I am not an expert but I saw similar post in this forum and answer from Jim Mills. Even though INS approves more time than 6yr limit, by law we have to leave the country after 6yr period.
If ou are eligible for 7th year extension, go ahead and file for 7th yr extension. Otherwise when you go for Green Card interivew they might question you. It all depends on your luck