Strange request by Lawyer

regbet2003

Registered Users (C)
Hi gurus,
I got a strange request from my old lawyer, I was laid off by A company and got a job in B company, replied to RFE(employment verification) through Company B Lawyer(new lawyer).

I just got a strange request from my old lawyer is requesting a copy of G-28 from me and telling that she will write a letter to INS saying that she is no longer representing me and the new lawyer in my case is the one on the new G-28 form.

Why do she need to do that at this stage i.e. after my current lawyer replied to RFE to INS.

First of all I already told verbally to the old lawyer while taking my original RFE from her that I am going with new lawyer in terms of
representation of my I 485 case already.

Any of experienced gurus please advice is the lawyer taking advantage of something?

Thanks,
VM

I don't think you have to listen to your old lawyer. Consult this issue with your new lawyer.

I would ask ur old lawyer to talk to your new lawyer. I think they can sort out themselves and you don't have to get involved.

reg

Sounds fishy to me. What is the sudden interest your old lawyer has in setting the paperwork right as far she is concerned? What happened to the G-28 you had originally given her? As Edison suggests stick your new lawyer onto her and sit back. It is surprising she is spending the time and effort to do something that is of no monetary value. Very unlike my attorney who charges even if she dreams about my case (;P)

regbet2003,
This is because your case initiated with old lawyer, she is responsible to hold any question that would BCIS ask. Now you change your lawyer, she wants to make sure that she is no more responsible & representing now. She is right. Anyway nothing harms to you signing the G-28 and send it to her.
Kaa

Best shot is talk to your new lawyer. Sounds fishy though. I think there is no need to reply to your old lawyer, cause BCIS has already got the new lawyer's info and they can understand it clearly that you changed the lawyers

Last edited by a moderator:
request by old lawyer

Thanks everybody for sharing your ideas. I forwarded the letter to my new attorney, waiting to get the response.